Engine swap?

Mxpx182lit

Well, I have a lot of time on my hands for a few weeks untill my court case goes to trial, and untill then, i have no license. So my poor TJ is sitting in teh garage for a while unable to come out and play, so i started thinking about an engine swap. I have access to a chevy 350 and a ford 302 for resonably chreap prices. does anyone know what the approximate cost of a swap is and how much time it will take? Keep in mind that i am in school 5 days a week.

What engine do you have now? You'll have to cut the stock motor mounts from the frame, so it's a point of no return.

Costs range from $1000 to $2500 depending on how much it cost to acquire the new drivetrain and how many adapters you need.

It took me about 20 hours all told when I swapped a 350 into a YJ.

Don't forget Federal Emissions laws that require the new engine to be the same year or newer than the vehicle it's goin into. You may not get tested now, but it's in everybody's future. May be a factor if you ever decide to sell it.

i have the 4.0 I6. i want to get a 350 soo bad. have you heard anything about the advance adapter kits or know the prices?

well the adapters are going to kill u in money unless ur rich, and the wireing is going to kil u also i still havent found a way to hook up everything from a 350 to everything in my TJ im stuck in a boat that sinking slowly

The 4.0L is a strong reliable engine, don't know why you would want to get rid of it. If you need to compensate for larger heavier tires, regear and you will again find the performance that made you happy when the Jeep was stock.

The adapters will set you back quite a bit, bellhousing adapter is at least $500. It's best to find a GM transmission and transfer case to work with the 350, it's a cleaner install and you save on adapters, and you know the transmission and transfer case can handle the power.

But will your axles handle the power? You are opening yourself up to needing a lot of other upgrades.

i agree with bounty here... is there really a need for a motor other than the 4.0?.. yeah i know the 350 adds to the bad ass factor.. but in my opinion, is not worth the trouble

If you are geared right the 4.0 will get you everywere the 350 will but without all of the time money and stress.

The 4.0 is a fantastic motor that is more than capable in a Jeep, but, there's nothing like the sound of a small block V8. 8)

well you see, im not sure if the 4.0 will be enough to handle my plans. I am also thinking of swapping in a ford 9" rear, a dana 44 or 60 front, both locked, and some 37X15.5R15 on beadlocks.

Back