Average mileage you get out of a fuel pump for a YJ?

Craig

I'm pushing 200,000 kms (approx. 122,000 miles) on my 93 YJ and it still has the stock fuel pump in it. Just wondering what the average mileage is that others have got before it died on them. I'm thinking about replacing it now before it dies and I end up getting stuck somewhere. I've heard 120,000 kms (73,000 miles) is about average.

304 parts

what would the point be of replacing it now unless you already have the tank down.....

far_right said:
what would the point be of replacing it now unless you already have the tank down.....
Like I said, it's getting high mileage on it and I'd rather replace it before it dies rather than getting stuck 100 miles out in the bush or 400 miles from home on a road trip where I'd have to pay some mechanic's high prices to have him replace it. Not to mention an expensive tow. That's why I want to know the average mileage most people get out of their pump so I can replace it before it goes. There's some things that I have no problem leaving till they break or wear out but a fuel pump isn't one of them...without it, you're dead in the water.

far_right said:
fuel pumps dont just 'quit' it will give some signs.... ask a chevy owner for signs to look for :mrgreen:
Not all of them. In my past vehicles I've owned, I've had two just die on me with no signs they're wearing out. I've spoken to a few friends who are mechanics and they say the average lifespan for a lot of manufacturers ( NOT ALL ) fuel pumps is 120,000 kms. Besides, I have a lot friends who don't live anywhere near me and I don't feel like getting towed out of the Rockies on an 800 km road trip. Too expensive.

my first fuel pump died at 93,000... and i think it was repaced with a crappy one.. i think it is going again...

and yeah... they DO sometimes just die... i was called out to a "rescue" when a friend's pump died at a bar one night... and i happened to be at the gas station when some guy's mustang's pump died with no signs...

Well, I figure if you really want to replace it before it goes out on you at the wrong time, then maybe you should go ahead and swap it out for an upgraded fuel pump. I am not sure what is recomended , but I'm sue somebody else will.

Back