How to Adjust Steering Stops - YJ

hi_c

Ok, so I've read the tech write-up http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/steer/steerstop/ and I found the bolts on each front knuckle, but I don't understand how to remove them to put a washer behind it!? It appears that there's a bolt going into a nut that is right next to the knuckle. The bolt it welded to the nut, right? So the nut closest to the knuckle needs to be removed, and the bolt will come out with it, right? Why can't I get mine to budge? I feel like I'm gonna bust something if I use more force.

Help!

I had to do the same thing to my gals 93 wrangler when we put on 31x10.5 tires due to the back spacing. The tire would hit the leaf spring when the steering wheel was fully turned. I guess I was lucky because the bolt/nut assemblies came right off. Try some PB Blaser, WD-40 or perhaps apply some heat to those bolts. If I were you I would try removing the nut to avoid turning and perhaps snapping off the head of the bolt, the bolt will back out with the nut as you stated. For what its worth we had to put (3) 1/16" thick washers behind each nut to eliminate our problem. Good luck, Frank

Back the entire bolt out and the adjustment nut should stay welded to the bolt. Use a little PB Blaster and let it soak for a short while, you'll be surprised.

Reinstall the bolt with the necessary amount of washers.

Back