Boomerang shackles

They were designed for the rear of a YJ, where there is minimal clearance between the spring eye and the frame, especially when the springs have military wraps (double eyes). A longer straight shackle does the same thing. Even if the sides are angled, they are still 5" between holes. It's kind of pointless in my opinion.

5" shackle (stock are 4") on BDS miltary wrapped spring eye:
RearShackleJPG-2.jpg

If you look at the following page, look at item #RE2775 Shackle 5" Greasable Angled. Click details. The rear still doesn't have enough clearance for a centerbrace, even though they are angled and are 5".

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=217

Best, "easiest" front axle swap for a YJ?

some use boomerangs with good centerbraces for recovery points

I just bought some Currie boomerang shackles with the standard fronts. They were the same price as standard on all fours so I figured what the heck... I was actually thinking of using them for what snitty mentioned, recovery points. I have yet to put them on my jeep but I could let you know how it goes.

:eek: Not trying to flame anyone here, but boomerang shackles just do not make a lot of sense to me. This topic came up about a month ago and I will restate what I said before. Without a locker, the boomerangs do no good. The tire may be touching the ground with the shakle fully extended, but with no weight on it, the tire just spins. Also, think for a second about using the shakles as recovery points. Why in the world would you pull on your suspension system. Weld some real tow points to the frame of your Jeep.

Todd

you are talking about revolver shackles... boomerang shackles are solid shackles in the shape of a boomerang, they do not open and close like a revolver

and you should never weld a recovery point on... they should all be bolted

I've seen tow shackles, which have side plates that are triangular (and more sturdy). They have a removeable pin to hook up a tow strap. Boomerang shackles have a stationary bolt as a centerbrace, and I wouldn't see any advantage to the boomerang style over a straight shackle (with a center bolt) for that purpose.

i thought boomerang shackles worked good for buggy springs 3/4 eliptical) to prevent them from ahh (over extending) i forget what it's called.

Boomerang shackles are designed to clear the rear frame crossmember in a YJ when the spring fully compresses. Many YJ's crossmembers are dented where the stock shackle hits it under compression.

Lift shackles help clear spring eyes that have the military wrap, but do nothing to help clear the rear crossmember.

Revolvers help flex by adding droop to the suspension, as does the ZigZag.

Never pull a stuck vehicle by the shackle or any suspension part, and never weld on a tow hook.

BOOM!!! pretty much puts it all in place there

Back