what to remove off-road

JeredYJ

For greater articulation and grip off-road, just disconnect my sway bars and air down my tires to about 18, right?Anything else? jered

For starters that will work fine. Then after you do that a few times you will end up dumping thousands of dollors into you Jeep for a bigger lift, bigger tires, bigger power, lockers and so forth. For now dicos and Airing down will greatly improve off-roadability. If you have stock size tires 18 is probably pretty good. If they are bigger you can go down more. I usually go to 12-15 with 32" tires.

I was just wondering, which allows there to be more articulation: removing rear trac-bar or removing front sway bar (this is on a YJ)

Well I finally got my 3.5" lift on a month ago, so Im running with that and 32" Dunlop mud rovers (I need to post some pics!) I took it off road with about 24 psi and it performed a lot better than street pressure. The front sway bars are also off at the moment. Going out tomorow morning to find somewhere to play here in Orlando near UCF. jered

Try taking off the rear track bar, it's not really needed on a YJ. It will increase articulation quite a bit. I also got rid of my front swaybar all together, but it's personal preference.

Ditto, no sway bar or rear track bar here. Almost too flexy. Need a rear locker now to keep those tires spinning. I don't like having to use the "run and bump" method of obstacle manuevering.

C

Jared,
if you went down to 24 psi how high is your street pressure? My dad runs 33" dunlops on his 7 and runs about 25 on the street and about 12-15 on the trail. after the last run we forgot to air up and ran for about a month on 12 psi. didn't notice any extra sidewall bulge. I would do the chalk test to see what pressure to run at it will probably by about 25. The # on the sidewall is only a max pressure not a must pressure. Some tire manufactures have a listing for pressure and carring weight for a tire size. Check with the dealer to see if they have one.

i hear alot of people say they air down, so far with the exception of one snowy paragon run, i never air down and have no trouble with traction.. even at paragon.. the way i look at it, i'll air down when i hit an area that starts giving me trouble, even the sugar sand in the pines is fine aired up to 35psi... i can use the ground clearance and airing down just makes me sit lower.... sway bars are a good thing to disconnect though.....

I run 6 lbs with beadlocks to prevent the sidewall from rolling. Then drive it 5 miles on asphalt back to the trailer. No problems.
Without beadlocks you should comfortably run 12 lbs. Yes it does lower the vehicle, but the improved traction makes up for it.
BTW... Most people don't realize that the tires ar a big part of the suspension. If you air them down to the teens you will dramatically improve your off road ride quality and it can still be driven back to the nearest gas station to air up. They will also give a little when you hit those axle snapping rocks and absorb some of the shock.

I was running about 35 psi rear and 32 front... Is this ok or should I drop it 5lbs or so? Also... why do YJ's not need a rear trac bar? (Why is it there?) Thanks. jered

The rear track bar is put there to make it a stable ride, but the difference is so small, the positives (more flex) out weigh the negatives by tons. I took mine off and I can't tell a difference at all. Most Jeepers have the same reaction.

The rear track bar is put there to make it a stable ride, but the difference is so small, the positives (more flex) out weigh the negatives by tons. I took mine off and I can't tell a difference at all. Most Jeepers have the same reaction.

There is a difference between a track bar and a sway bar. A sway bar controls the jeeps rocking back and forth from side to side. A track bar,(panhard bar), keeps the axles centered side to side with the body, or vehicle center. Leaf springs are much stiffer laterally, (side to side), than a coil spring. So, colls need a tracking bar, and leafs do not.

Holy Old threads!!!

I'm sure they'll figured it out by now!!

Back