question on wiring reverse lights

ajfrank43

Ok this is what I want to do, I want to hook up a rear reverse light or lights to have a three way switch. on/off/on. I want one position on the switch to have the light or lights to be on when the switch is on no matter if the jeep is in reverse or not. The other position I want will be that the light or lights will only go on when the jeep is put into reverse and only when it is in reverse. And of course the other position will be the light or lights will always be off. Can anybody direct me in the right dirrection with this. Does anybody no of a wiring diagram they could post or email me with.

THANKS AJ

I just wired mine up with a 2 way switch (yesterday). I needed to wire some reverse lights because my LED's don't have any. I used the stock reverse wires and ran them to the reverse lights. I also wired them them to a seperate power wire with a 2 way switch and relay. This way my reverse lights will always come on when in reverse but I can also turn them on/off whenever I want. I didn't wire the switch through the ignition wire so I can turn them on even if the jeep is turned off.

ajfrank43 said:
I also want to be able to turn the lights completely off.

The Moon Shinners and Pot Growers switch huh? hehehehe tug

I'd think you'd have to wire the switch inbetween the switch in the transmission that turns them on and the lights. Then you'd have to wire in another power wire so they'll be able to turn on whenever you want. This way, one position would be always on, one would be on with the reverse lights and one would be off. I don't know how you would wire it up through the switch though. Might be easier to do with two seperate switches. One switch would turn on/off the reverse lights from the transmission being in reverse and the other switch would turn the lights on/off whenever you want.

help

YOu could use a 3 postion toggle switch; one position on with the toggle switch, one on with the transmission switch, and off completely. Wouldn't that do it?

Never used a 3 position toggle switch before. Can you run two seperate power leads to a 3 position toggle switch?

Craig said:
Never used a 3 position toggle switch before. Can you run two seperate power leads to a 3 position toggle switch?

YES.

The three position switch can switch one power source to two different loads (lights, amps, etc...)

OR

Switch Two power sources to one load (light, amp, etc...) :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Interesting problem

The three position switch is your only option if you only want one switch. You can find it at most autoparts stores (autozone) or drop by Radio Shack and get one there. One power source will have to come from the transmission. Pick up some electrical connectors that "splice" into wires and use them to splice into your reverse power wire. You can access your tail light wires by removing the tail light And also by removing the panel from underneath the rear corners of your Jeep. The off switch will simply not be "hot" The third position will have to be "constant". You can either fins a 12 volt that is constant in the fuse box and tao into that. Autozone sells a neat adapter that is called "add-a-fuse" which does what it sais,ads a fuse. You simply pull out the fuse you wish to tap into, insert the adapter and run the hot wire to your back up lights. That should be all you need. If you need more help, email me and I'll be happy to give you more info.

K_K_PSI_GUY@hotmail.com

-al

ok I would like to do this too, but I'm a little confused. One wire comes from a constant power source. Another comes from the reverse light wire which can be found in either the transmission, corner of the car or brake light itself. And the last part of the switch is the ground......right?????????

You will need to find the 12v wire that goes to your backup light switch. You will need to cut this wire before the reverse switch. This is were you will splice in the 3 position switch. You will need to take the 12v wire and hook it on the 3 way switch. It will probably go to the center terminal, depending on the switch. Then take and hook up the other part of the wire that goes to your reverse switch to one of the other terminals of the 3 way switch. The final terminal will need to go to the wire on the other side of the reverse switch or to ground if the reverse switch doesn't have a wire leaving it which means the switch just completes the circuit to ground. I hope this might help.

Hi,

Because a schematic is worth a bunch of words, here's two I drew up (below).

Schematic 1 is for hooking up the reverse lights to a two position + off toggle switch Without a relay. This circuit is designed for use with the stock reverse lights:
backlightsnorelay-2.jpg

This second schematic is highly recommended for use with any after-market backup lights. It uses a relay to switch the lights and therefore is safer for larger loads:
backlights-2.jpg

NOTES: Gray Lines represent exsisting wiring. The thicker looking lines are meant to represent 18-14 gauge wire, while the thinner lines are meant to represent 22-18 gauge wire. It is important to use AT LEAST 18 gauge wire for stock lights, and 16-14 gauge for aftermarket. The relay coil trigger circuit can safely use 22-18 gauge wire as very little power goes through it.

Have fun :mrgreen:

What fender flare?

OK here it is...

Notice the relays are single pole, double throw

This setup will allow you to run ON, OFF, and normal function.... A lighted switch in cab will activate a relay to switch between Headlight mode and Normal mode.

With the switch off, you are in normal mode, and the reverse lights will fuction as they normally do.

With the switch on, you are in headlight mode, and the reverse lights will be triggered by the tail lights. When you are in "stealth" with your headlights off, the reverse lights will not come on. The reverse lights will come on along with the headlights and parking lights.

Here is what I believe will work... if you have any questions... just ask...
or use AIM to reach me : TheBaztard

image-missing.png

if you are using stock, or low current lights... you can also forget about the lower relay, and hook the tail light wire directly to the 87 pole on the upper relay... this also eliminates the need for the 12v violet wire

wirring schematic

To those of you who might not be familiar with the standard automotive relay... that is what the boxes are in the above picture... if it looks complicated to you... it really isn't... VERY VERY simple setup

Hi,

I forgot to explain that BOTH of my schematics will function as follows:

Toggle switch position 1: reverse lights function as normal, anytime you are in reverse gear they are ON, otherwise they are OFF.
Toggle switch position center: Reverse lights DO NOT function. This over-rides the transmission switch as well.
Toggle switch position 2: reverse lights stay ON as long as the switch is in this position, everything else is over-ridden.

Snitty's schematic is interesting, but you'd only be able to use the back-up lights when the Tail-lights and/or head-lights are on. I guess I don't understand why you'd want that?

no... with the upper relay turned off by the in dash switch... the 87a pole allows the reverse lights to be powered by the stock reverse light wiring

it was just a quick idea... suggestion was all... i was assuming that if you don't want reverse lights, then you're not gonna have the headlights on anyway

Full door locks broken...can they be fixed?

I just dont' like running high current through switches at all if possibly avoidable... this was the easiest way i could figure to provide an "off" option... though... XJNick's seems a bit easier to wire up

XJNick
OK I hook everything up and the lights on my switch are all goofy. The lights are always on. Well one is always on when the trans is in anything but reverse. Then when I put the trans in reverse the second light comes on. The lights turn off when the jeep is off. I don't know. So then I hook the switch up backwards. positive to the ground and ground to the middle post. I run a constant power wire to the lights and the ground to one post. This time the light only comes on when the switch is on. But I can't do this for the reverse lights because they ground through the chassis. Any ideas? I'm looking for another way to ground the reverse lights like maybe a ground wire a the trans switch. Does this all make sense?

AJ

Back