fuel mileage in my '81 Cj5 - 18-20 mpg, is this good?

1981CJ5

Just wondering if my 18-20 mpg in my '81 CJ5 is decent or is there something I can do to improve it? I am running a 258 I6 and ahve 31's on her. She is mostly all stock except for replacement parts.

I measure mine in hours instead of miles. I can trail ride about 2 days on 12 gallons. It's not good. I carry 2 Jerry cans on the back for overnight trips, because I usually have to put one in for the ride home.
The fuel injection kit did not improve it at all. I also run only super unleaded in there which gets pricey.

That is what I hear. My sister-in-law has a 2002 TJ and only gets 13mpg with the I6.

Tug, do not know what the secret is. Bought my girl almost 1 year ago and I have not made any major engine adjustments as of yet. I am planning on ditching the Carter BBD ASAP.

I was just curious what everyone else was getting.

thanks, Joel

I was getting about 13 until winter hit now it is 10-11 because it won't run till it warms up. I would love to have that mileage.

If that Carter runs and your not having issues with it, leave it on there.
If you have a carter that runs at all. Don't touch it. If you get too close it will mess it up. Never, ever, ever, ever clean a Carter. It will never run right again.
At least that's my experience.

Yeah, Ive gotten a steady 14.8 mpg since i got my jeep over a year ago. This is with all types of driving, all highway, all city, and mixes. I just cant get any better than that. And as for ditching your carter, if it ain't brok dont fix it.

TARSI

I was getting 8mpg with a worn out 232 6cyl. Now my 350 chevy is getting 15 mpg. My father -in-law can't figure it out. I told him that the 350 doesn't have to pull as hard to catch traffic. No weight to pull.

Later,
Jackal

I have a 258 I6 and I drive it back and forth to college on the interstate and I get somewhere between 8 and 10 mpg.... blah....

Back