Cat converter?

laneiac

Anyone ever experienced noise coming from their converter? At a low RPM (around 1500-1800) under very easy acceleration, I get this metal clangy sound coming from the cat converter area. Is it just something loose in there, or do you think I need to replace it?

some cats have a heat shield/sid plate attached. this could be loose and rattling... you could have also jarred the honeycomb loose inside.

If you can get by with it just take it out and bypass it all together. Or if you can not take it off and hollow it out and then replace it. Beter gas mileage and more power. tug

If you can get by with it just take it out and bypass it all together. Or if you can not take it off and hollow it out and then replace it. Beter gas mileage and more power. tug
How much better gas mileage? Ive done it on a Mazda truck before and never noticed ... I got a 4-cyl and need all the mileage and power i can get.

depends on what year the car is sometimes it can take power away and take away from gasmilage, on the older cars it was ok to do that, but on some newer cars it wont pass emissions even if its hollowed out and looks like its there.

Awesome Bounty, thanks for the link, I am going to purchase one of those. I would just punch it out, but emissions will be a problem.

laneiac said:
Anyone ever experienced noise coming from their converter? At a low RPM (around 1500-1800) under very easy acceleration, I get this metal clangy sound coming from the cat converter area.

Yup. Same thing. I beat the heck out of my Catalytic converter to hollow it out then put it back on and problem solved.

It's probably just the heat shield like graewolf said. I'd look into tacking that back in place before putting out the cash for a new unit. Save the money for what you WANT to do to your ride.

Its not the heat shield. It is the platinum inside. The honeycomb is breaking apart inside. This usaly only happens if it is very, very old or you are dumping excess fuel down the exhaust. The fuel will eat it up and cause it to break apart. If you go to midas they will weld on a cheapo for $150 bucks. On my car I went through two in a year do to bad coil packs. Best bet is to hollow it out if you can.

excuse my n00b ignorance but where exactly is the 'cat converter area'?
Is it under the tunnel just in front of the transmission?
I think I'm experiencing the same thing and am trying to troubleshoot.
Normal acceloration at low RPM's I also get a rattle, but also when the car is in neutral and I go over a moderate bump, I get the same rattle again.
Almost as if something underneath needs some grease or a bushing is worn..now I'm beginning to think it could be said 'heat sheild' but I'm just not sure if my sound is coming from the same area. I can feel it mostly down by my feet near the peddles under the tunnel as I said.

Thanks for your help

Wow, so many things to consider. Going to check out the heat shield today, and if thats not it, I am going to consider punching it out or putting on a new hi flow, Firemanharry, your, I need to save money to do things that I want to do to my jeep.

take a piece of wood and have the jeep running and try holding th eheat shield in place if it still makes noise its the cat.

Back