Unrelated Non Jeep Question about MP3

Tug-n-pull

I am not so up on this deal but how do I take an audio file that I riped from a CD and make it MP3. I have so much music I want to rip to burn in MP3 format but do not have a clue as to how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help. tug

I use a program called GoldWave... With that program you would also need the LAME MP3 Encoder... Both are available at download.com... With GoldWave, you can just open the file, and resave it into MP3 Format... You can also rip directly into GoldWave, and save it that way... I like it because you can edit, and it's pretty easy... You have to install the LAME package into the Windows directory, and GoldWave takes it from there.

off roading in NJ on october 24th?????

I use Music Match 8.0 and db box.... or something like that, Both from download.com

The gold standard in encoding mp3's is LAME (as mentioned above for Goldwave). However, to get a good sounding mp3 you have to use lame correctly. It is commandline software but there is a frontend (GUI) for it called Razorlame where setting up the options are very easy. You can find it here:

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/download.php

Once you have this, for typical uses use the following settings once you have razorlame installed:

1. There will be a button on the toolbar labelled Lame, click it to open the lame options.
2. Click the Expert tab and check the box "Only use custom options".
3. In the "Custom options" box type exactly (but with no quotes) "--alt-preset standard".
4. There are only 2 other options for you to think about, under the General tab, you can choose where the file will be saved, I typically have it go in the "Same as input directory" and under the Advanced tab, there is the option to Delete source file after encoding which will delete your original .wav after a successful mp3 file is written. These choices are up to you.

Then just drag and drop your .wav files into the box and hit encode or you can add the .wav file from Add Files button and hit encode, its your choice.

Using this method will give you a great sounding .mp3 as quickly as possible. I am very particular about my music and have converted hundreds of CD's to mp3, and before doing so investigated all of the options on audio forums. This is the preferred method to use.

Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

I downloaded my program off download.com. I had no idea which ones worked best, I just looked at the user ratings and picked the one with the highest rating. It's nice now that I have an mp3 player in my jeep. I can hold almost 200 songs on one disc so all I need is one disc in my jeep and if it gets stolen....no big deal, I'll just burn another one.

Tug if you're looking for a new program, go to www.download.com. There are several programs that will make this an easy process for you. You can search for the ones with the highest ratings or that have been downloaded the most.

Some programs cost $$$, some are free trials, and some are outright free. Make sure you read reviews to avoid getting one loaded with spyware and run your AdAware or other spyware removal program after you install anything :wink:

With windows XP, you don't need a program. Just the windows media player.

Thanks for all the input. I have taken the advice and downloaded the above mentioned softwear and I am trying to learn to use it now. Twisted you mentioned I could do thins with Windows xp I have it and I also have Windows Media Player. I am just not real smart in this field and can not figure it out as of yet. Thanks again and sorry I took so long to get back I have jsut been busy trying to figure out how to use it all. tug

Back