Spark Plugs

RE: Iditos In The News

I realized yesterday while puttering around at work that I've never changed the plugs in the YJ in the nearly 2 years I've owned it. So, I was working outside Autozone and decided to run in and grab a set of Bosch Platinum +4's. I used to run Bosch platinum plugs in the Toyota PU and they worked great, so I figured I'd try'em out in the YJ. Went out today to see about changing them and was amazed at the ease with which the project progressed. Done in less than 15 minutes!! I've never owned a vehicle that was so easy to get to the plugs before!!

So, I took it for a test drive to see what difference it made. Mind you, I've had quite a boost in performance from the recently installed electric fan, so I wasn't expecting much. I cruised around a while to let the engine warm up before I abused the skinny pedal too much. I drove out by the local cemetary (where we've always gone to drag race as youngsters because of the smooth 1/2 mile of pavement and the fenceline right at the 1/4 mile mark). I wrapped it out to 4500 in 1st and when I speed-shifted into 2nd, the rear end kicked out to the left and started to bounce with the resulting axle wrap and tire spin. It fishtailed back and forth a couple of times before I was able to whoa it up enough to feel safe dropping off the throttle. I've seen two Jeeps flip in second gear before like that. One was spinning donuts in sand and he let off the gas too quick and it flipped, the other was spinning donuts on pavement (big 350 motor) and did the same thing. It was all I could do to get it back under control before dropping off into the 4-foot ditch on my right! Good Lord, I never expected anything like that out of my little 4-banger on dry pavement!!! I mean, I've gotten it to fishtail on wet pavement before, but that was fairly controlled. This was like riding a bronco with a bee under his saddle!!

Think I'll take it easy for a while now. As much as I love excess power, I'll end up having to buy new tires, u-joints, axles, and transmission if I keep driving it that way! God I love my YJ!!!!! 8)

RE: Can i use adeep cycle marine battery on my Jeep?

wow. ive never thought them +4s would be any good. but i guess i was wrong. lol

Re: RE: Re: Iditos In The News

jeepless20 said:
wow. ive never thought them +4s would be any good. but i guess i was wrong. lol

I've always had people tell me that the platinum, multi-electrode plugs weren't worth the money unless you had a high-performance engine, but that's not true. I've always done better running platinums with more than one spark path.

wish mine would do that... id be blowing u joints from spring wrap if i got on it hard enough to fish tail it... heh

RE: How to remove Herculiner off my...

currupt4130 said:
wish mine would do that... id be blowing u joints from spring wrap if i got on it hard enough to fish tail it... heh

you're not exactly driving a burnout machine either

I've gotten it squirrelly before on wet pavement, just by giving the steering wheel a yank when I shift and pop the clutch. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't just the spark plugs that gave me the power. It was the combo of no air restrictor, electric fan, and spark plugs...oh, and the tank was almost empty so the rear end was pretty light already.

RE: 4wd won

joejeepny said:
Now we really have a reason to call you sparky!

:lol:

Yeah, and I electrified myself at work today, too. I was rewiring an irrigation timer and grabbed the wrong wires....and I was soaking wet, to boot. Dang, what a kick!! :shock:

Back