Brass Monkey Alert!!

Sparky-Watts said:
Like I believe anything Snopes says.....they make up about as much stuff as they attempt to debunk, most of the time without so much as a whiff of research.
:p :p :p :p :p

Uncle Alfred,
When I gave the two definitions, I was giving the two most commonly accepted references to that term.

When Sparky was referring to the Brass Monkey, I knew the reference he meant, whether or not its origin is based on proven facts was not the issue.

It's like if Sparky made a reference to Saint Nick and I defined if further for someone who asked. It is not important if Santa is real or not, we are talking of historical references.

PS. Don't worry Sparky.. Santa IS real:purple: :purple:

I used to get the monkey from a liquor store next to my house, they kept it in the freezer between the high class 40's and the Night Train. It's nearly the perfect eye-opener.

I'd never heard of it being so cold that it would freeze the balls off of a brass monkey. However, I have seen it be colder than a well diggers ass -or- colder than a witches tit in a brass bra.

And as you know a "witches tit" is a nautical term for the bow of an ice breaker and the "brass bra" refers to the metal plating that protects the "witches tit" :-|

OutOfStep said:
And as you know a "witches tit" is a nautical term for the bow of an ice breaker and the "brass bra" refers to the metal plating that protects the "witches tit" :-|

I never heard that one before. This sheds some light on the subject though.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- A new study, conducted by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has found the heat capacity of witches' breasts to be significantly higher than previously believed.

"For years, the public has assumed that the breasts of witches maintain temperatures at or around the freezing point of water," said team leader Phillip McCracken in a telephone interview. "Through a series of revolutionary experiments, we have been able to determine that they actually achieve an average temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit."

The researchers do not currently understand why witches' teats -- while certainly warmer than expected -- are nearly 27 degrees cooler than the breasts of normal humans.

"Unfortunately, theory behind the thermodynamics of thaumaturgic mammaries is sadly under-investigated," added McCracken.

Magdalena Chancerly, the president of the National Organization of Wiccans in Salem, received the news of the scientists' findings with enthusiasm. "You can only hear 'cold as a witch's tit' so many times before becoming offended. I, for one, am glad to have my breasts associated with the comfortable climate of spring instead of the chill of winter."

And I thought this was a brass monkey:
1484d-3.jpg

Seriously though, I still believe it has true nautical lineage ;)
Found beneath a stack of cannonballs such as this:
image-missing.png

It was the diference of the contraction of brass compared to the contraction of iron that nade them fall off. If the monkey was not brass they would not fall off.

A week later and we're hitting temps 50 to 60 degrees higher than those originally posted!! Gotta love Kansas, 'cause they won't let me leave.

Back