Obx

mud4feet

OK, here goes.....lot's of pics so be patient.
Last weekend mudwoman and I took a little trip to the Outer Banks to celebrate Valentine's Day. Mudwoman has been there before, but I never had so I was really looking forward to it. Man, what a place!!! Beautiful and VERY Jeep friendly. If you like to play in the sand, that's the place to go!!

Before we headed out, we did a little exploring of the area (we stayed in Washington, NC - about 2 hours from the Outer Banks). A little local scenery....

Canal1.jpg

And you wouldn't believe the cemetaries!! You'll be driving along a back road and all of a sudden there are four or five graves right next to the road. Quite a few of them. I guess back in the day, they just buried people where they dropped! :lol:
Another cemetary......out in the middle of a cotton (I think) field.....

SwampCemetery2.jpg

Then, it was a trip through historic Bath, NC.....on the way to OBX. This little church is the oldest church in North Carolina. Built in 1730-something and still in use. The floor is made of brick-colored tiles - really cool - wish we'd got a pic of that.

BathChurch2.jpg

And then we made it to the Outer Banks. We headed north first to go see the Wright Bros. memorial in Kill Devil Hills. Really cool place - they have rock monuments to mark the extent of the first 4 flights. Unfortunately, these are the only pics we have of the place.......

BonneyAstronaut.jpg

TimAstronaut.jpg

Hey, you can't be serious ALL the time!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

to be continued........................

continued.......

So, after our little jaunt to Kill Devil Hills, we picked up a couple of OBX stickers and headed south.
First stop was Bodie Island lighthouse.....

BodieLighthouse1.jpg

Of course, along the way both to and from, many side trips were made to the beach. Very, very Jeep friendly place. There are numerous "ramps" over to the beach with signs telling you "4WD ONLY" and suggesting you air down to 20-25 lbs. Loved the way they did the signs, too........

JeepSign1.jpg

JeepSign2.jpg

But, of course, you must keep off the dunes........

NoJeep.jpg

Dunes1.jpg

to be continued...............................

continued...................

A few shots of the beach and the waves.......there was about a 30-40 mph wind blowing out to sea that day and the temp. was about 40 degrees..........even blew a little snow on us up at Kill Devil Hills...........

BeachTracks1.jpg

JeepBeach1.jpg

JeepBeach2.jpg

Waves1.jpg

Waves2.jpg

And, yes I know, the Jeep is VERY dirty...........I'll clean it this spring!:lol:

to be continued.......................

continued................

And on to Hatteras and Ocracoke (via 30 min. ferry ride!!). The Hatteras lighthouse......tallest in the U.S. at 208 ft..........

HatterasLighthouse1.jpg

They actually MOVED that thing a half mile or so a few years back!!! That would've been something to see!
Then onto the ferry and over to Ocracoke. The Ocracoke lighthouse......least impressive of them all and not easy to find!!.....

OcracokeLighthouse1.jpg

And, while on Ocracoke, we saw this little boat that mudwoman just had to have a picture of........

Boat1.jpg

That's right, $5.99 will get it for ya'!!!:lol: :lol: BTW, if you ever make it there, let me recommend Howards Bar and Grill. Great little place and they have over 200 beers on their menu..........even serve Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale!!!!!!!

One last pic.....a typical little boardwalk over to the beach......

Boardwalk.jpg

All in all, a great little trip and a beautiful place.........probably much much better when the sun is shining!!:lol:

Highly recommended especially if you like to play in the sand (or surf fish!).

Whew!!!!!! That sure is a tough way to increase your post count!!:rofl:

ahhh the obx :) man it's been a long time since i've been there, but i loved it. the wild horses... the fishing... i didnt get to drive on the sand though, i didnt have my license when i went.

This side of NC might not have as many trails as you're used to, but it sure has some nice scenery and the beachs aren't too bad either. Did you happen to stumble onto any of the nude beaches?.....oh wait, I guess there wouldn't be anyone there this time of year anyway.

You really want to obey those signs telling you to stay off the dunes.....don't ask me how I know:redface: Down here on the north end of Carolina beach it will get you a careless and reckless citation and a hefty fine. Plus it disturbs the nesting areas for the sea turtles, which isn't cool at all.

Glad you had a good time.

Junkpile said:
This side of NC might not have as many trails as you're used to, but it sure has some nice scenery and the beachs aren't too bad either. ....................................
Glad you had a good time.

thanx, Junk! Glad I finally got over to your side of the state. Never made it any further than Raleigh/Durham, and you and I both know that ain't no place to be! :lol: Very beautiful country and, tho' it was cold while we were there, sure beat the 14" of snow we came home to!

Back