Anyone using a "new style" Ford F-150 for a tow vehicle?

Craig

Hey. I know this isn't a jeep question but I'm looking at getting a 2005 or 2006 F-150 Super Crew (5.4L V-8 ). I'll be using it to tow the jeep to wheeling spots that are too far away and too expensive to have a tow truck pull me from when I break something. I'll also be towing a small boat. Just wondering if anyone here has a 2004-2006 F-150 and how they like it. I've heard some people say they love'em and others hate'em. Not interested in a Chev or Dodge. Just can't decide on getting the new style (2004-2006) or old style (1997-2003) Ford.

Last edited:

I dont know if this helps, but i have a expedition with the 5.4 and it's a pretty sweet motor. I've flat towed the yj all over w/ no problems. If you plan on using a trailer you'll want either to gear it or spend the $$ and get the diesel.

A 1/2 ton truck and tow rig dont belong in the same sentence, your asking for trouble. It will work and can be done, but it's not the best idea.

currupt4130 said:
A 1/2 ton truck and tow rig dont belong in the same sentence, your asking for trouble. It will work and can be done, but it's not the best idea.

I agree. I sold Ford's for a while, and have seen the results of poor buying decisions. For towing the Jeep, I'd go minimum with an F-250. But for a few extra bucks a month you can step up to the F-350. That way, if you ever get a wild hair to get a camper, you're set. Go with the diesel engine, too. The 5.4 is a very durable, very reliable gas burner, but diesels tow soooooo much better. And the newer model diesels are much quieter, too. As for the old style truck vs. the new style, I'd go for the new style. Much nicer interior, much better ride (because of moving the shocks outside the frame rails). They almost handle like a sports car now. Barely any body-roll when cornering.

I have an 03 Expedition with the 5.4. It does the job just fine on a 16' landscape trailer. In the mountans is where it starts to have problems. My brother towed 1 jeep with his F350, and I towed the other with my Expedition. He had no problems. Around town or even on long trips that don't involve mountains, a F150 is just fine. The new ones with the 3 valve have a little more power too. F150s also have the tow/haul transmission which helps out ALOT in the mountains. F150's can also tow more than Expeditions.

image-missing.png

daveplot said:
Around town or even on long trips that don't involve mountains, a F150 is just fine.

Short term, maybe. I'm talking long-term. They will not hold up to long-term heavy towing, even with the towing package. The engine and transmission are just not built for it.

Sure a 5.4 will tow just fine daily. A friend of mine has a 1999 F350 with a 5.4, auto, close to 200,000 miles, tows 8000lbs daily, often more, since the truck was new, and has yet to have a problem. He's a landscaper.

Another friend has a 4.6 in his F150 towing 4k daily, another landscaper, and doesn't have any problems from 180k miles to 220k miles, used truck.

So a new F150 will be able to tow a Jeep daily with no problem.

I still don't agree, just because it works doesn't make it right. I really think for the extra coin its worth it to buy the 3/4 ton that is geared a little lower, has a little more power, and has the better transmission which is suited for towing more so than the light duty 1/2 ton. The wear and tear on the vehicle is going to be accelerated compared to that of a 3/4 ton, which is still a partially purpose truck. The F150 might handle it, but I think if your going to buy a truck that will be used to tow your Jeep, buy the one that will tow it the best. The F250 and 350 are in the same category in hitch towing if your not using a fifth wheel, so go with the 250, or better yet, get a 2500 Chevy with the Duramax, my personal favorite.

and remember, no matter how much your rig can pull or how fast,

you still have to be able to stop it safely.:redface:

My F250 looks just like the F350 in Daveplot's post. Pretty, huh.
I have a lot of experience towing a Jeep and trailer, so I'll give you an honest breakdown here. I have towed with the following vehicles with the same Jeep and trailer: 99 Silverado 1500 with 4.8L 2WD, 00 F150 with 5.4L 2WD, 97 Suburban 1500 5.7L 4WD, 05 F250 Powerstroke 4WD.
The Silverado was the worst of them obviously, but still got the job done. The engine did well, but the rear was light making for scary stops. The F150 pulled impressively for a small block, but drank gas like it was "last call." The Suburban was slow and steady, but scary as hell to stop even with trailer brakes. It needed 3/4 ton disk brakes. Finally and really not a comparison is the mack daddy F250 diesel. It will change your life. I can run 80-85 comfortably down the highway with the Jeep and trailer. It doesn't bog going uphill, can support all the tongue weight you want to give it and the best thing is that you feel in complete control over the trailer. No pucker factor whatsoever. The integrated trailer brakes in addition to the monster 13" disc brakes make it the King for hauling. I have to disagree with Sparky on the F350. The only reason to go 350 is if you need a dually. The tow ratings aren't that different. In fact the only difference I have seen is the rear springs. Axles and drivetrain are the same.
What it boils down to is how heavy is your Jeep and trailer and how often are you going to tow it. Twice a year, I would go with the F150. Once a month, would be the F250 for sure. Remember, trailer brakes = good.

Thanks for the info. I won't be towing the jeep all that much because I do most of my wheeling locally. I'll just be towing it for the longer trips that'll be way too expensive to have a tow truck bring it back when I break something. I will however be towing my boat at least 2-3 times per month but not far as I live 5 minutes from the ocean. There will be the occasional 6 hour drive to the lake we go to but that'll only be once or twice a year. I'd love to get a 250 or 350 diesel but don't want to spend that kinda cash. The truck will mostly be used as my daily driver to and from work with some towing on weekends so that's why I'm thinking the 150 would be better. I am still considering a 2003 f350 I was looking at which is still in my price range. It has the 7.3L which has less power than the new 6.0L but still plenty for towing and is much more fuel efficient than the 6.0L.

An F150 should be good on on that schedule. Keep up with the maintenance schedule on the transmission.
Who said the 7.3 gets better mileage than the 6.0? Never heard that one before. I'm getting 14 city/18 highway and 11 towing. The towing mileage would be better if I could stay out of the skinny pedal. This is without a programmer. You can expect to be in the 10 MPG range towing the Jeep with an F150 depending on how large your trailer is.
Check out a Prodigy brake controller if you can't the OEM unit like the F250 has.

redrooster said:
Who said the 7.3 gets better mileage than the 6.0? Never heard that one before.
I spoke to a few guys that are diesel mechanics and they both told me that the 7.3L is much more fuel efficient than the 6.0L. I haven't done any other research on this. I'm just going by what these guys said. They also told me that the 6.0L has much more power and is a gas pig compared to the 7.3L. They told me to get a 2003 or older F-350 and it'll have the 7.3L. Less power but plenty for what I'll be using it for.

Oh, I was looking at the Ford factory service DVD, the same ones the technicians use at the dealerships, they only have the 6.0 listed in them for 03.

When I was selling them, everyone wanted the 7.3, but there weren't any to be found (used). We had 40 or 50 with the smaller engine, but could never get our hands on one with the 7.3. Sad thing is, we still had most of the same 40 or 50 when I quit......if we'd had the 7.3, I could have retired on commissions......

Ya, the 7.3 (on average) definatly gets better fuel milage than the 6.0. But, the 6.0 has a s**t load of torque compared to the 7.3.

Back