Rooster Proof Stereo

redrooster

I have the worst luck with stereos in my Jeep. It could have something to do with my need for washing the interior after every ride. I seem to go through a stereo about every 18 months. The last stereo didn't last despite using a marine cover over the face and duct taping a ziploc freezer bag over the part under the dash. I did cut a small hole for the wires and a few slits underneath for airflow.
Honestly, I think the dust is what kills it first, then moisture.
I wish they still made pull outs. I have been looking at Marine grade units on E-bay and there seems to be some good deals, but still pricey since I haven't been able to get anything to last.
Any suggestions?

The stereo doesnt have to be mounted in the dash. You could do a rear mounted one and just bring a remote display upfront.

The whole thing gets washed. I could move the stereo inside the console, but then what would I do with the gaping hole in the dash?

I didn't have much luck w/ a Jensen marine radio/cd. It lasted only about six months w/ what I considered to be "nice treatment." It was subjected to a few rain showers here and there, yet no direct spraying or washing. Makes me wonder how it would ever perform under salt water conditions.

I have a tuffy console and the stereo seems to stay in pretty good shape.

Yeah, that's the thing. I have never directly sprayed mine either. At least not on purpose. Got the Marine cover, wrapped in a plastic bag and got the old glove box liner (top half) as an umbrella... and it's stored inside.
I wanna rock!

I saw someone that had there unit in the console. Then they made the empty space it a switch panel of lights, winch Ect... Looked really clean and functional.

happy024 said:
I saw someone that had there unit in the console. Then they made the empty space it a switch panel of lights, winch Ect... Looked really clean and functional.
:agree: Yep, move to cosole, then do the Controls in the open space :):sawzall:

The Tuffy's are cool, but all the ones I have seen don't have a seal over the lid to keep it dry. It would be easy enough to add one I guess. I really don't think there is enough room between the seats and a shifter for the Tuffy. My current "console" is an ammo can, which is full of random crap.
I would really like a stinkin pull out unit.

Here's an idea. Don't wash it after every trip. Maybe that will extend the life of the stereo.

KrazyJeeper said:
Here's an idea. Don't wash it after every trip. Maybe that will extend the life of the stereo.

Ya, you could just wash your rig everyother time out...then the stereo should last twice as long!!

The 88 YJ I had (and almost bought back) had the Tuffy console in it. It's a nice piece. It would be easy enough to weatherproof it. As for the dash, leave the old non-working radio in there as a dummy for a would-be theif.

I have a Tuffy and I don't think any water has ever gotten on the stereo. It comes with a sticky-back foam to put on as a seal. Works good for me, and I have left it out in some nasty storms and hosed it out.

Oh, and I covered up the hole in the dash with one of those dash plates made for a dash without the stereo hole. You probably have custom gauges, but it should be easy enough to put a piece of diamond plate over it or something.

I put my cd player in the overhead tuffy box and it's been out in some pretty good storms without problems(being overhead it should be out of your line of fire during washing)... for the hole in the dash i put a piece of aluminum with all my switches over it and get compliments all the time on it...

I put my cd player in the overhead tuffy box and it's been out in some pretty good storms without problems(being overhead it should be out of your line of fire during washing)... for the hole in the dash i put a piece of aluminum with all my switches over it and get compliments all the time on it...

Here's the thing, it's got a custom cage so an overhead won't work unless I make something. Got a custom dash too, so I'm not really wanting to put a cover plate over the hole. I don't think that would look good.
Here's where I am leaning. I think I may have an old stereo that the CD player has crappped out on. If not, I will get a trade day special Rockwood or Kingwood or some other knockoff. Where I will spend the money will be on an MP3 player or whatever you call them. As I understand it, I can download all the songs I want and run it through the FM modulator into the stereo. This way, I can leave the CD's at home and also be able to remove the expensive MP3 for washing.
With that said, what is a good MP3 to get that will hold something like 200-250 songs, have an FM modulator and possibly some kind of mount?

Back