With or without Trac-Lok?

RandyS

I'm confused about the Dana 44/Trac-Lok options on the Sport model. Am I to understand that the Dana 44 can be had with or without the Trac-Lok option? I've read a TJ FAQ and still can't understand what the advantages are of one option versus another. Can someone explain?

In 2004 it could be had with or without Trac-Loc. I chose the 44 with Trac-Loc when I ordered mine.

From: http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-driveline-lockers.htm
TRAC-LOC
The Trac-Loc is a stock replacement limited slip unit. It is fairly inexpensive and easy to rebuild. It is a clutch-type unit and will not lock up 100 percent. When one tire is off the ground it will spin freely just like an open carrier. However, if you apply a little brake pressure the unit will usually start turning the grounded wheel. This trick works because it loads the clutches and engages the unit. The Trac-Loc is a light-duty limited slip and will not hold up under extreme off-road conditions. If the unit wears out it can ussually be rebuilt. Trac=Loc units feature a one-piece case and two side gears.

Thanks, with your explanation I was able to do a more intelligent search and I think I understand the options now. Thanks again.

What's the differential say? It has codes on the cover which will tell you if it has the LS trac-loc or not...

Back