th400 jeep bolt pattern

black87yj

what t case will bolt up to this th400 BESIDES the quadra trac ? i think i heard you must change the out put shaft but then will it bolt up to my wrangler 205 ?:?|

Wranglers didn't come with a 205. Do you mean Np231 or do you have a chevy 205 in your Jeep?
There were two setups for the Jeep TH400. One was in wagoneers and J trucks that took the Dana 20 case. The other was used in front of the full time Quadratrac. The transmission used with the quadratrac has about a 10" long output shaft that went way up inside the case. The transmissions used with the Dana 20 have a 2" or 3" shaft.
In either case you will have to disassemble the transmission and replace the output shaft. Novak adapter sells the shafts and adapter plates to go whichever way you decide for about $400.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/th400_to.htm

it seems i have a penchant for buying "******* " year jeeps. my 77 golden eagle had different rotors and the full time quadratrac. it was a great ride but ate tires and gas like crazy. ( i had to use it as a daily driver 60 miles a day ! ) this 87 has a tag on the t case that identifies it as a 207. i've been told that slip yoke elims made for 231 s will fit and wont fit so i'm still doing research on that.........it just kills me having a bullit proof transmission sittin in the corner of the garage ! but a 400 dollar adapter might have to wait till the old transmission dies ! thanks for the feedback !

Your Golden Eagle didn't have odd rotors. The V8 Cj's had 11" rotors whereas the others had 10". Any parts store should have shown the rotors.
FYI...the TH400 robs about 15% of your horsepower just to operate. It will be very noticeable unless you are running a V8. Also you would think these things would be worth some money, but not really. I held on to two of them for years and ended up giving them away about 6 mos ago. I am running a Chvy Th400 currently, but it resides behind a Chvy 5.3.

Back