What is the difference between a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep CJ7?

dealrocker

I am planing to buy a used Jeep in next couple of weeks, but having some confusion on deciding a model. I searched online and the CJ7 looks exactly like a Wrangler.
Just wondering the differences between a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep CJ7.

[FONT=&quot]Please pass on ideas...[/FONT]

CJ7: Non pcm/tcm. ECU only controls the ignition. Available in a 4, I6, V8. Hood, Windshield frame, fenders, rear tub wheelwell, rear tailgate and dash instrumentation is different from the YJ and TJ wrangler. YJ and CJ's are leaf sprung suspension, Tjs are coil and link suspension. YJ's are the half breed on the PCM technology between the CJ's and TJ's. TJ's and Cjs has the round headlamps, YJ's are rectangular. JK's are a whole different beast overall. Later TJ's and the JK's are available in a longer wheelbase. Jk's is available in a 4 door configuration.

Mikey can you say that all again in English? You had my head spinning by the 3rd sentence

Last edited:
Mikey can you say that all again in English? You had my head spinning by the 3rd sentence

The quick and dirty:

CJ's have a narrower wheelbases, carbureted engines, simpler interiors. They have round headlights which are inset in the grill slots. There are several models of CJ's, most common are the CJ-7 and the CJ-5. The difference is in the body style and wheelbase I believe. The CJ's go up to 1986.

Wranglers are made up of YJ's, TJ's, and JK's.

The YJ's run from 87-95. Depending on the year they can be carbureted, or fuel injected. They come with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. They have a wider wheelbase than a CJ and square headlights.

The TJ's run from 97-2006. They are all fuel injected and have small variances between engine systems. They are either 4 or 6 cylinder too. Same wheelbase as a YJ for all models except the unlimited which is longer. They have round headlights.

The JK's are the newest and come with either 2 or 4 door versions, only a V6, and are fuel injected. They also have a wider wheelbase than other "Wranglers"

There are plenty of technical differences between each model. I could fill up a book going on about them though. Unless you want to deal with crappy computer systems and terrible carbs stay away from any YJ that is pre 1991. The 91-95 YJ's tend to be the more reliable of the bunch. CJ's are oldschool. TJ's are all computer controlled just like the 91-95 YJs and so are the JKs.

A Jeep CJ is an antique by this point. They are great older vehicles that will need more maintenance due to their age. A Wrangler is the version that came after the CJ

It's like asking for the differences between a classic 60's VW bug and a new VW beetle.

Attachments

• jeep_cj7.jpg
    jeep_cj7.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 153,822
  • jeep-wrangler.jpg
    jeep-wrangler.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 128,434
If you have time and want a real "jeep" a cj is a great ball of clay.If your more into comfort and "bolt on accesories" look into a newer wrangler.price wise to get a cherry ride you probably will pay similar prices in the end.

I've owned a 1980 CJ 7, an 89 YJ and now a 98 TJ. They all were fun and each certainly a different machine. Basically the newer, the more refined: Interior, exterior, engine and ride. They all did the job and am glad I had the experience of each one. I'm no kid, so the "refined" TJ is just fine with me. Unless I win a lottery, I'll probably never own a JK.

Back