2012 Wranglers to get Pentastar motors

southtj

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. More HP seems good though.
Link here.

The Pentastar V6 first debuted on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and is gradually making its way on other models, including the 2011 Dodge Charger and Grand Caravan.

Now it's the Wrangler's turn, which received a significantly upgraded interior for the 2011 model year, but Jeep's modernizing efforts were somewhat overshadowed by the old 3.8-liter V6, capable of delivering 202 hp (151 kW).

The new engine will solve this problem, though output is not known yet. For the record, the the Pentastar V6 produces 283 hp (211 kW) and 305 hp (227 kW) on the aforementioned Dodge models.

I think I see the fail train coming :rolleyes:

Jeep NEEDS to put a v8 into the wrangler product line, the 3.8 was a turd before it ever was installed into the jk, I don't envision the new 3.6 pentastar motor is probably not going to be any better.

if it turns out to be a success, then I am glad I am wrong

*snip*
Jeep NEEDS to put a v8 into the wrangler product line, the 3.8 was a turd before it ever was installed into the jk.

How explain?

According to my info, this turd 3.8 makes more horsepower and torque than any past Jeep 6 cyl, even more HP than the old 304 V8 since 1972 as well as more torque than the 304 since 1976. Of course my sources could be dead wrong, if so please correct me.

Most of my experience is with CJs, XJs and TJs. All excellent vehicles. I'm fairly new to JKs with their 3.8 engines. Are they flawed, or something?

Thanks in advance.

RE

The 3.8 is a great engine but not super in a jeep. It may be rated higher but it makes all its torque at a higher rpm than the 4.0l. The wrangler really needs a little diesel. The 2.8 four cyl made a ton of torque. Or a 6.1 hemi that would do the trick to maybe with 5.13 gears. Could be fun.

Back