Jeep announces new Wrangler Unlimited Pickup... in kit form

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler has finally released a few more details on its Mopar Jeep JK-8 Independence pickup conversion.

The kit costs $5,499 and comes in a wooden crate that is more than seven feet long and five feet wide. The parts have a three-year, 36,000-mile warranty and can be ordered through dealerships. Realistically, the JK-8 modifications are designed to be installed by dealership technicians, as the warranty covers their workmanship in addition to the parts. Still, the car maker says “skilled do-it-yourselfers” can handle it. The conversion includes a steel bed, inner and outer bed sides, sport bar extensions and a fiberglass half-top and bulkhead among other necessary pieces. Jeep says that the kit should help satiate brand loyalists who also want a pickup truck.

Chrysler press release

Jeep® enthusiasts now have the opportunity to transform their four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited into a two-door pickup truck.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the Mopar® JK-8 kit is $5,499. The kit, which comes with a three-year/36,000-mile warranty, is now available for ordering through Mopar at Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram dealerships. The warranty covers kit materials and workmanship performed at a Chrysler Group dealership.

"Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited are some of our most accessorized vehicles," said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO, Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand. "New Jeep Wrangler owners typically spend more than $500 on Mopar accessories. For Jeep Wrangler Unlimited owners, our new Mopar JK-8 kit answers the call for even more radical customization. And it's yet another example of how Mopar will continue to support our brands with innovative features."

jeep-unlimited-pickup.jpg jeep-unlimited-pickup1.jpg jeep-unlimited-pickup2.jpg jeep-unlimited-pickup3.jpg jeep-unlimited-pickup4.jpg jeep-unlimited-pickup5.jpg

They need to offer it as another model, at the same price as a comparable Jeep! The only way I'd do this conversion was if they reimbursed me for all the parts they took off (top, rear seat, rear doors, roll bar, etc) which would probably equal the cost of the parts they added to make it a pickup! It doesn't look like something the average owner could swap out in a garage like going from a soft top to a hard top, this looks more permanent, which renders the old parts somewhat useless...

I am not impressed. It looks kinda cheesey like one of those old samurias.
Sorry but i think that would be a waste of money. All u really have to do is fold down the seats and u got urself a truck. Jeeez

OK, Chrysler, so what's wrong with just making the Gladiator on the assembly line?

Well we saw one today didn't know if it was a factory kit or a AEM. It was already passing through the intersection. Still think they look goofy as a truck. Wish they made them a bit longer to balance then out.

Sent from my Android using Jeepz

Back