Teardrop camper build

bugleboy

today is day one of our teardrop camper build, my mom and dad want to get back into camping so we started a little project, i thought you guys might be interested so here is my first ever from the ground up build thread, they wanted a small camper to tow behind my moms 2door jk and we had a pop up camper a while ago but we decided it was to much, so my dad ordered a trailer from harbor freight this week and we are keeping ourselves busy today putting the framework together, if all goes well i will be building another teardrop camper to tow behind my cherokee in a year or so, probibly a more rugid version i can take on trails with me to camp in. here is what one looks like for anyone who was wondering

image-2504658792.jpg

the idea is that its just big enough for two people and a hound dog to camp comfortably, theres a kitchen in the back, a full size matress, and a/c. i however will still be tent camping alongside the camper :p (for now)

heres what we have so far working on frame work, hopefully we will have the wheels on intime for me to take a picture before i have to go to work

image-3531419181.jpg

Attachments

• image-3232530513.jpg
    image-3232530513.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 6,517
  • image-3883220419.jpg
    image-3883220419.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 23,067
  • image-3514399780.jpg
    image-3514399780.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 568
so far the only problem we ran into was that both the taillights are broken from shiping :( but harbor freight is sending us another set free :) its no wonder the taillights were broken, the boxed got here in the worst condition i have ever seen, it was riped down the side and there were parts falling out as the delivery guy was coming up the driveway, but all the parts are here

image-767037834.jpg

I love those teardrop trailers but at 6'6" I doubt I'd fit very comfortably. I look forward to watching the build.

lol i keep telling my dad "its a little small iddnt it?" he says the best thing about building your own is that you can make it however you want, however i agree with you the sleeping quarters are tight

heres where we stand now

image-2869642752.jpg

got the frame together and axle mounted

says 4 hours to build, im callin bs, took us 6 hours lol

Wish I could do this. My dad never has the time plus I don't have the money and I'm the only one in the family that enjoys camping (I think my dad does secretly also). But for now if I really want to go camping without a tent I can just throw a inflatable mattress in the back.

Still it looks good. Are you putting any springs on it? I've got some factory jk suspension if you want it to keep up with that jeep.

yeah i dont have the money for it yet either so ill make mine in a year or so, and a for now thi is the leaf spring setup, its nice of you to offer but when i suggested the jk suspension to my dad he said, "it will be hitched behind the jeep, it should keep up" lol oh well, my mom is a pavement princess in her jk any way lol any time theres more than an inch of water on the road after it rains she says she is four wheeling, however i will be making mine a little more rugid when i make it and ill be looking into some different than stock suspension setups :)

image-1504335190.jpg

ScubaDude said:
Wish I could do this. My dad never has the time plus I don't have the money and I'm the only one in the family that enjoys camping (I think my dad does secretly also). But for now if I really want to go camping without a tent I can just throw a inflatable mattress in the back.

Still it looks good. Are you putting any springs on it? I've got some factory jk suspension if you want it to keep up with that jeep.

My dad doesn't enjoy camping either he served in Desert storm and always says I spent 9 months camping off the back of my tank and have no desire to do it anymore. But I love camping

ScubaDude said:
I get ya, honestly I just really want to get rid of these things, worth a shot lol

i might take you up on it soon lol im gonna need a beefy setup for where i plan on camping when i get mine built

That's a really cool project. I alternate back and forth with wanting a Harbor Freight custom trailer to haul stuff, and a premade popup to tow behind the Jeep. My problem is that I don't have anywhere to store a trailer.

TerryMason said:
That's a really cool project. I alternate back and forth with wanting a Harbor Freight custom trailer to haul stuff, and a premade popup to tow behind the Jeep. My problem is that I don't have anywhere to store a trailer.

we dont have anywhere to store it lol in the next week or two we are going to put together a little onning so we can move it to the back yard but still keep it from getting torn apart by the elements

Jester32 said:
That's cool. Somedays I wish my trailer was that light. Lol.

i dont know man sucker weighs easily 300lbs i had to call a couple of my friends to help us flip it, it took me my dad and two friends plus my mom was there to move the jacks into place

bugleboy said:
i dont know man sucker weighs easily 300lbs i had to call a couple of my friends to help us flip it, it took me my dad and two friends plus my mom was there to move the jacks into place

Mine weighs 10,000 lbs. lol. I get 4 mpg with my truck. I sold my little one I used to pull with my jeep now the wife has to drive the jeep when we go out. I like this build. Good job guys.

thanks! its coming together nicely, it probibly wont be finished for a few months, we had to get the trailer together asap so my mom couple park in the garage again, ill jeep you guys up todate and post pictures as it starts to look more like a camper

packing the wheel hubs today, messy messy messy, so far we gave one wheel on, once we get both of them mounted up its time for taillight wireing and then... first test drive!

image-3755757374.jpg

who whoula thunk they use muffler bearings in the hubs??? lol

Attachments

• image-836362963.jpg
    image-836362963.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 371
Back