TerryMason is offline Administrator

New model for 2014 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

New model for 2014 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X-2014-jeep-wrangler-x.jpg

There's a new special edition Wrangler for 2014 - the Rubicon X. It appears to be a 10th anniversary Rubicon without the red leather seats. I like it myself (but the $46,600 price tag is getting up there).

2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X | Jeep JK

Mrsig is offline Senior Member

Re: New model for 2014 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

Way too much on the price.
    07 4 Door JK with a lot of mods.
    See my jeep in action and mods @
    http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
    CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
    https://www.facebook.com/blacksheep4x4sorg
    Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.

greg92jeepxj is offline Official Supporter

The Rubicon is still an awesome looking jeep , even standing still , it turns heads . The trail rated packages are steep in price , but if Chrysler can sell the SRT8 packages , I think the Rubicons will be on the show room floor for quite a while. Better be , that's a real jeep to me !
    i think after Chrysler recognized the public likes the TJ and the JK , they know the Rubicon is here to stay. If mom and dad ask me what I want for Christmas , I might just tell them a 2014 Rubicon X ! Not . They laughed when I asked for a CJ.
    Last edited by greg92jeepxj; 09-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.

jps4jeep is offline Moderator

What would be nice is if jeep paid attention to the purists and not the johnny-come-lately pink hat wearing yuppies (although that is the main demographic for jeep currently)

Build a stripped down rubicon, no navigation, no auto swaybar do-hickies, no leather or carpet but a absolute stripped down jeep with rubi axles (or better) and 4.1 t-case, heck make it a 4cyl and offer it at a competitive price. They would sell the ba-jeebus out of them to people who would actually use them as intended.

For the cost of this particular vehicle ($40G's+), I can build an older YJ with LSX motor, better axles and gearing, make it safer and plenty more capabile and still have money left over to buy some gum and a 6-pack.
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

Quote Originally Posted by jps4jeep View Post
    What would be nice is if jeep paid attention to the purists and not the johnny-come-lately pink hat wearing yuppies (although that is the main demographic for jeep currently)

Build a stripped down rubicon, no navigation, no auto swaybar do-hickies, no leather or carpet but a absolute stripped down jeep with rubi axles (or better) and 4.1 t-case, heck make it a 4cyl and offer it at a competitive price. They would sell the ba-jeebus out of them to people who would actually use them as intended.

For the cost of this particular vehicle ($40G's+), I can build an older YJ with LSX motor, better axles and gearing, make it safer and plenty more capabile and still have money left over to buy some gum and a 6-pack.
    Never happen . The pink hat wearing yuppies and the other vanity cases are the ones with money and we purist and off roaders whom use a 4WD vehicle for its intended purpose and not just to get out of a plowed in parking spot will have to take a back seat to the Madison Avenue advertistising dipsticks who believe they know what we want and what's good for us without asking . Big brother has always had a hand in pleasing the enviormental agency for their own convenience which forces us to accept if we still want to play. I don't like being treated like a child any more than the next JEEPER , but we are still expected to conform or they will threaten to take away our toys. Personally , I would rather drive the vehicle you just described too ;
    no power steering , manual trans & t-case ( no push button 4wheel or trac control) manual hubs , etc. , they way it was when we called the FOUR WHEEL DRIVES and before the name SUV became fashionable. I hear you brother and I know a lot of jeepers feel the same. Greg

Despite my feelings of being rebellious toward modern change , we should be given a choice ,
    a hard core rig or a luxury sedan with a front driven axle. We should still have a choice.
    Last edited by greg92jeepxj; 09-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.

jps4jeep is offline Moderator

I'm not going that far... and yes, I I mentioned, the purchasing demographic is not you or I. My wife drives nice new vehicles because thats what she likes and frankly I want my kids driving around in a save modern vehicle. Me personally, I drive an old truck with even older ammentities. I like the simplicity of the vehicle, that and I have not had a vehicle payment (sans my wifes money pits) in 15 years.

That said, still off the vehicle as is, but offer a more affordable version with the options peple want and you can expand the "new" purchasing demographic. Nissan had it right when they first released the X-terra, it was a very basic low buck version of a pathfinder, had rear lockers stock and great gearing, and it sold. Unforuntately it too just became a bloated SUV platform that was more image conscience than performance minded.
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

The closest I have seen to a new manufacture "old school" but retro look 4wd was the suggestion of the FC and j series gladiator . Of course they have their add ons for luxury , but its a start. Maybe someone will listen , but thus far , has Chrysler even broke ground on a build of these jeeps ? Many would like to see them hit the showroom. I can't afford them , but I sure would !
    Until then , I will drive the most modern 4wd I have ever owned , a 1992 jeep cherokee Laredo .
    even though newer vehicles are more trouble ( and more expensive) when they break , I think sometimes yes , it would be nice to have maybe one. But I still would trade all that for old iron not just because you can diagnose it with a test light for example , but because of quality and character . Use to own a '78 jeep cherokee of which the only comfort it had was power steering and brakes. But when a master cylinder or alternator needed replacement , you could fix it with the money you had in your pocket and not have to reach for your credit card or take it to a " diagnostic center " . Maybe I'm too old school in my thought as I like the vehicles we had when I got my license , but I still appreciate modern convenience as long as it dosen't have a price tag equal to a years salary or you get plastic when you used to get metal. Vacuum operated vents were fine , someone thought electric module driven would be better. Not when it cost several hundred $$ or more in parts !

TerryMason is offline Administrator

I think that Jeep is doing OK with all of these special editions. They'll make a couple of extra thousand off those that can afford it, and the rest can buy a base model.

As to offering a 4 banger - keep in mind that that most Wranglers sold today are automatics, and Jeep's been burned in the past by mating the 4 banger to an automatic. If you could get Americans to drive stick again then maybe it would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMason View Post
    I think that Jeep is doing OK with all of these special editions. They'll make a couple of extra thousand off those that can afford it, and the rest can buy a base model.

As to offering a 4 banger - keep in mind that that most Wranglers sold today are automatics, and Jeep's been burned in the past by mating the 4 banger to an automatic. If you could get Americans to drive stick again then maybe it would be possible.
    That is a valid point , if we could get Americans to drive stick again . Many other countries are the opposite of us , for every auto trans on the road , there is a thousand stick cars. Of course here , it is the opposite. Although auto trans have gotten better over the years , even heavy trucks have been using them for some time , quality lacks in some models. There is still the complaint of members with auto trans problems. However , if a quality 4 banger were to hit the market with adequate HP/TQ and economy , that would satisfy the masses. Maybe if we all were adamant about contacting the manufacturer in terms of " what we want in a jeep " for example , maybe they would listen ? Just a thought . Maybe we could compile our own thoughts of what we would like to see in a new jeep ! As a respected jeep forum , maybe they will listen to us ? I would not have any problem driving manual again , but you have to have more folks into it as well so that there is consideration in terms of road manners . Taking off on flat surface is fine , but too many have lost ( or never had) the art of taking off on a grade without rolling back excessively. Still , I would like to see a quality manual too as there are equal complaints of problems with stick due to manufacture budget saving on quality.
    Last edited by greg92jeepxj; 09-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.

xtremejeeper is offline Junior Member

Does anyone know if the X will offer red leather seats?