Rumor Mill - VW may buy Fiat (and Jeep)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
German car giant Volkswagen is in talks with Fiat to buy the Italian car maker, German monthly magazine Manager Magazin reported Thursday on its website. Shares of Fiat climbed 4 percent on the speculation.

Volkswagen's Chairman Ferdinand Piech has held discussions with members of the Agnelli family, which controls Fiat.

The report, which cited unnamed company sources, said the Italian firm wants to exit traditional automotive business, and instead focus on the Ferrari brand.

Fiat is currently finalizing its merger with Chrysler in the U.S. Purchase of Fiat Chrysler may help Volkswagen get a push in the U.S. market with Chrysler's U.S. distribution network. Sales of Volkswagen's core brand have been unimpressive in the U.S.

What do you guys think? Would moving Jeep under the VW logo be better / worse / no different?

The cherokee came back looking more like a Lexus than a jeep , what next ? The revival of the incredible Volkswagen thing with a jeep emblem ? On a more serious note , since we are forced to accept reality in this ever changing world which is forced on us affecting our sport , is Chrysler now unofficially and indirectly admitting it cannot continue the jeep line ? I would rather there be a revival of American motors . At least they had us in their interest. I don't see Europe caring about American culture or interest and preserving our way if life recreationally. Am I wrong ?

VW sits better with me than Fiat, but I really wish Jeep could break away as an independent brand, though I know that will never happen. Still anxiously waiting for the Gladiator :drool:

My thoughts on this lend more to thinking no one cares about the true Jeep concept and will belittle the brand to the point that it goes the way of the VW Thing. As much as I hate government interference They should have stepped in and not allowed a foreign company to buy Chrysler & Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strings were attached to the no strings attached bailout . The problem is that the government DID step in .

Back