Jeep WJ 4wd engaging

00wj-kid

I tried to put my jeep wj in 4high earlier and was at a dead stop and once I started rolling I got to around 20-25 and it made two large clanking sounds and I put it back into 2wd and it never made the sound since can anyone tell me if that's normal or not any help would be appreciated

Just want to be clear , do you have the 242 transfer case ? Assuming you shift into 4wd , you will not have the quadradrive. Get the jeep up on Jack stands as you'll want to have the front tires free to rotate. Check the U-joints closest to the front brakes of they are badly worn . Check the condition of the front driveshaft u-joints as well. Photos are welcome if you can. Look for leaks too. Your concern is to find what caused the clanking which most likely is a bad u-joint or more . But don't just look for bad universal joints , have a good look at everything you can. Exhaust , O2 sensor wiring , etc. This is a great opportunity to do a casual or more involved inspection and be ready for the spring. Let us know what you find .
if you only heard this shifting into 4HI and not moving , check the t-case level . A transfer case should engage quietly . There could be a damaged syncronizer .

Do not put it into 4x4 on dry pavement and drive. on pavement with snow and ice it is ok, on dry pavement there is total traction and does not allow the front tires to slip a little. In 4x4 the rear pushes and the front pulls, in turns the rear is pushing straight and the front is trying to turn as its pulling and being pushed. there needs to be front tire slippage (mud, dirt, sand, snow, ice, ect..) or the drivetrain will bind and you may hear all sorts of sounds from binding as the drivetrain fights itself..

Some systems are designed to allow on pavement driving such as AWD (all wheel drive) or fulltime 4x4, but your jeep is not one of those systems.

Back