Rules of the Offroad (things no one told me about off-road trail etiquette)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm preparing for my first offroad trip of the year, and I've been thinking of all the things that I've picked up over my various trail rides. It seems there are plenty of unwritten rules that I've had to come across through trial and error.

• Gas up before going offroad. Don't try and divert the entire group because you didn't plan ahead.
  • When your group meets another group on the trail going the opposite way (on flat ground), the smaller group should move to the side.
  • When groups meet on an incline, the group going uphill has right of way.
  • Keep an eye on the guy behind you, and slow down if necessary. Nothings worse then getting left behind.
  • Don't litter.
  • Make sure your Jeep is ready for the trail. I went offroading with one guy who had a newly lifted Jeep, and his driveshafts were too short (and he new it before hand). At every obstacle his driveshaft would separate and we'd have to wait.
  • Bring some extra fluids. Some oil, ATF, and gear lube can be a life saver on the trail.
  • Don't tailgate. If someone's working an obstacle, don't get right on their bumper, give them some room.
  • Bring toilet paper.
  • One thing that may only apply to newer Jeeps is that when your Jeep is on a steep angle, the seatbelt won't extend. I had thought the seatbelt was broken because it wouldn't extend on a steep hill, but once back on flat ground it worked fine.

So, what rules or tips do you guys have?

Slow down in camp for safety and to keep the dust down.

Bring something to share (water, snacks, tools, etc.).

If you stop and leave your vehicle, pull off the trail.

Bring it In and Bring it Out. Bring out more than you brought in.

Dont leave White Flowers visible. Bury them and put a rock or log on top.

Off-road in a GROUP!!! Use experienced drivers and do not attempt anything alone.

WATER - both for you and your rig. Many many jeeps suffer from overheating on the trail for various reasons.

Radio- typ a cb to communicate with your group and others on the trail.

Obstacles at angles.
Use a spotter.

Caution if need to cross deep water. The fan will be pulled into the radiator.

Know the difference between a recovery strap and tow strap.

GAS you will get minutes per gallon. Don't even consider mpg.

Back