Fiat Chrysler Gets Record $105 Million Fine for Safety Issues

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the NHTSA has thrown the book at FIAT. A few highlights from the article:

DETROIT — In their most aggressive crackdown yet on auto safety, federal regulators on Sunday levied a record penalty of $105 million against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles for failing to complete 23 safety recalls covering more than 11 million vehicles.

The civil penalty is the largest ever imposed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on an automaker for recall violations, surpassing the $70 million fine imposed last year on Honda for faulty airbags.

Under the order, Fiat Chrysler is required to buy back as many as 500,000 vehicles with defective suspensions that can cause drivers to lose control. Also, owners of more than one million Jeeps with rear-mounted gas tanks that are prone to fires will be given an opportunity to trade in their vehicles at rates above market value.

The full article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/b...-105-million-fine-for-safety-issues.html?_r=0

So I have an '02 Liberty and I got the hitch fix per the recall order. It took almost a year for them to have the part available. Now I have another recall on the ORC Airbag part for the second time but like all the recalls the parts are not available yet. Then I read this article that explains the details of the settlement and I'm even more frustrated! So I brought my Liberty in to be fixed as soon as the parts are available and now I'm not even eligible for the $100 gift card? That "settlement" in and of itself is a joke! I'm pretty much speechless over the ridiculousness of this settlement.

Fiat Chrysler ordered to buy back Chrysler, Dodge, Rams and Jeeps - Jul. 27, 2015

Back