o2 sensor question

jeepmaster

just a quick o2 sensor question, mines bad in my cherokee, how hard are they to replace? its the after the catalyst sensor, and the shope will charge me 200 to replace and i can buy it on my own for 75. id really like to save the 125, is it that hard? i think its just a matter of unscrewing the old one and unsnapping it, then snapping and screwing the new one in? any thoughts? thanks ~ max[addsig]

That's all it takes, easier than changing a spark plug. Get my o2 sensors from AutoZone for about $40, definately a do-it-yourself kinda thing.[addsig]

Don't forget to pick up the O2 socket when you buy the O2 sensor. It will run you no more than $10, and it's yours forever. If the guys at Autozone offer you anti-seize compound, take it. It will be a lot easier to remove it the next time it goes bad.[addsig]

Socket, what's wrong with a box wrench or crescent wrench?[addsig]

i was just about to ask if there was some sorta trick to gettin it off... i spent awhile with a wrench trying to break that thing looose but couldnt get it done. would having it warm help you think? ill go buy that socket today. i think its my only hope.[addsig]

The only benefit of a special socket that I could see is to be able to use an air impact to help get it off.

If the exhaust is hot, and you can cool the o2 sensor with a wet rag, it may contract enough to help loosen it.

Also try PB BLaster, best penetrating spray out there.[addsig]

Back