Jeep tales - tales of the jeep

greg92jeepxj

Official Supporter
In the never ending war on terror , the president issued a special request to the department of defense for a new special operations group to battle the latest growing threat of dissident militia groups . It has been decided that these new teams must have vehicles not only capable of traveling over all terrain , but these vehicles must have one important feature ; stealth capability . They must be able to go anywhere and leave as quickly as they appear. Such a combat recon ready vehicle must be developed and be successful for the future of the free world if mankind is to survive the tyrannical madness of the evil master minds of the terrorist groups . Many defense contractors answered the call but one group was awarded the contract : Jeepz.com . Unknown to the off-road recreation community , a secret laboratory based in Virginia beach , Virginia was developed . The greatest minds of this organization were assembled in conference immediately to begin research and development of such a capable vehicle . After many hours of development , two proto types were selected for testing . The vehicles were immediately sent to proving grounds for the final decision. In a tie , both vehicles were selected for their capability for immediate production and deployment . A heavily modified JKU was accredited and submitted by Jeepz.com team member ScubaDude , a.k.a. " the kid " and an equally capable wrangler YJ accredited and submitted by GennyBro , a.k.a. " Doctor Emmet Brown " . Their code names were held top secret classified after meeting with the presidents cabinet along with the head of the R & D team leader Terry Mason , whom accepted the government grant to finance the development and production for the two combat recon stealth vehicles . With the help of team members of Jeepz.com R & D team , these three men successfully completed the two proto types by the issued government deadline and production began immediately . Militia groups were battled where they lied by these elite SOG teams and stealth vehicles so that the free world can once again thrive. An award ceremony was given at the White House lawn to honor these men for their contribution to the war on terror. Each had given their own acceptance speech but most memorable was that of GennyBro code name " Professor Emmet Brown " , who holds a BS in PH.D. ( or a Ph.D. In BS ? ) who's speech included as follows ; " if you can't dazzle them with your Ph.D. , baffle them with your BS ! " . The unique stealth capability , a top secret device called a plutonium powered " flux capacitor " capable of producing the 1.21 JIGAWATTS necessary to achieve stealth mode was secretly guarded by the presidential defense security . The three men now reside under the protection of secret service in Langley , Virginia . The free world is safe once more , thanks to the contributions and commitments of Jeepz.com .

Last edited:

I've been called many things in my years, but never one of "the greatest minds"... :lol:

I don't know what this is, but I love it. Most exciting read.

I don't know what this is, but I love it. Most exciting read.
Thank you . Was hoping you and GennyBro would enjoy it as well as the rest of the cast . It's just a short story. I don't quite remember what came to mind that sparked my imagination to write this but it just fell into place . Penned it a while ago . After much editing , I just put it to press . Hope all enjoy as much as you do . Kind of exciting , I think .
thinking about it , I now remember what my inspiration was . When GennyBro bought his YJ wrangler , I was as happy for him as you were . Since you guys are forum buddies , I guess the theme for this story just took root into my imagination . You driving a JK and he driving a YJ just seemed to make a perfect story . Currently working on a deal for an early Christmas gift to myself. Hint : if all goes well , you won't hear me wining about being without a CJ5 , ANYMORE ! Stay tuned ...... :shades:

Last edited:

Awesome yeah cj5s are pretty great! I'm a little jealous. Hope it all works out for you!

My first jeep was a cj5. I was down in the swamplands of florida, had that sucker full throttle threw this swamp, and I was leaning out the drivers door with it floored hopeing it wouldn't tip over. Made it, but what a rush.
One hand on the steering wheel, pedal to the metal. Rest of the body was out the drivers door.

Thanks ScubaDude . It was a toss up between a cherry 1984 cj7 on eBay in Islip New York or this all original 1980 cj5 upstate New York ( Gardiner , ulster county I think ? ) . I went for the 1980 . The body tub is nearly perfect . Mysteriously , the floor board rotted through at the roll bar floor plate mount on only one corner and must be repaired but my budget welder will take care of that when I can . That's it , the rest is perfect . Oh yeah , got to get the gas gauge working. She's a 4 banger 4 speed . That'll keep me out of trouble since its old school slow . Considering a 4.0 liter swap since I got a motor sitting under my back deck but that will need an AX15 behind it and a gear swap on the diff's so that will be a future project. Heck , I may just mellow out and enjoy the old school charm and keep it as is for a while . My next mission is to get it down here and hoping that will happen tomorrow . Soon as that happens , I will get pic's and post them up . Don't worry brother , your JK will have a little brother someday . There's plenty of CJ's still around and I can attest that deals pop up every now and again so never loose hope. I went for broke ( well , almost) and scraped up all I could and made the deal . Pretty happy even if it did total $4000 . Got to say though , it's got a solid e chassis and near perfect tub . The front clip is in great shape too . Sad that I'll have to store it away for the winter until I can start the preservation process but I want it to out live me . Planning to coat the inner and outer chassis with rust preventatives and all bottom surfaces as well. Don't worry , there's a build thread in my future . Stay tuned ......

Last edited:

My first jeep was a cj5. I was down in the swamplands of florida, had that sucker full throttle threw this swamp, and I was leaning out the drivers door with it floored hopeing it wouldn't tip over. Made it, but what a rush.
One hand on the steering wheel, pedal to the metal. Rest of the body was out the drivers door.

Man , you got me thinking about pulling hole shots like I did with my old SJ ( '78 jeep Cherokee ) but I didn't want to trash it so I cut that out and my dad decided to make it his daily driver just to be sure. Regret giving it away for $400 but that's in the wind. Miss it dearly. I promised I'd be a good boy and not give mom and dad heart failure with my antics . Honestly , they were dead against it but slowly getting over it. Can't let them down now. Besides , got to register and insure it to their address for the classic insurance since my house dosen't have a garage which is required for historic and classic policies. Now , if I can just keep it out of my two brothers hands ! They'll be lots of phone calls and visits until I can work something out to keep it at my pad . Got to work out a good security system too. Heck , this is New York ! Don't need it stolen now ! Yeah I know , Smith & Wesson security . Well , I'll work something out . Clay mores , perimeter mines , something . Well , merry Christmas and happy birthday ( February ) to me !

I always liked the Clay-mores & trip wire method.

Congrats on the "new" CJ5. The "80 4 banger is the Pontiac Iron Duke. Really not a bad motor except for the oil leak tendency. My first Jeep was an "82 CJ5 with a 4 banger & a 4 speed. Got me Jeep hooked in a hurry.
You do know WE NEED SOME PICTURES!!!!!!!

The floor rust at the rollbar mount is quite common....should be ok with a bit of patching. You may want to reinforce the rollbar and/or do a frame tie in.
We'll be waiting anxiuosly for updates & pictures.....oh yeah in case I forgot to mention it WE NEED SOME PICTURES!!!!!!!

I always liked the Clay-mores & trip wire method.

Congrats on the "new" CJ5. The "80 4 banger is the Pontiac Iron Duke. Really not a bad motor except for the oil leak tendency. My first Jeep was an "82 CJ5 with a 4 banger & a 4 speed. Got me Jeep hooked in a hurry.
You do know WE NEED SOME PICTURES!!!!!!!

The floor rust at the rollbar mount is quite common....should be ok with a bit of patching. You may want to reinforce the rollbar and/or do a frame tie in.
We'll be waiting anxiuosly for updates & pictures.....oh yeah in case I forgot to mention it WE NEED SOME PICTURES!!!!!!!

Thank you ! I'll go to ANY lengths to protect my pride and joy . Maybe an electric fence ? LOL ! Yeah , as you can imagine , I'll need to get my hands on my baby soonest . I definately owe some pictures soonest . Want to try to get some tomorrow , hoping I'll get a minute to . Was too dark at my parents house , which is where the jeep is now to get any decent shots of it. Tried with my phone but even with flash , nite shots just aren't desirable . But I want photos uploaded to our forum . I transported it back with my brothers Ford Expedition and a dolley since my plan is to inquire to either J.C. Taylor or Hagerty for classic and historic insurance and registration . Will have to title it in my dads name . I believe the insurance requires it to be garage kept ? The milage must be within a certain figure as well ? My biggest concern is security since theft is a piece of cake on these jeeps . Locking columns don't mean anything . I have no garage and I'm still trying to wrangle a deal to store it in dads garage which has become a giant walk-in closet . That's a tall order . I think I'm pushing it with that . Luckily , my brothers truck is blocking it in which is helpful. Of course another concern is keeping two of my brothers hands off it but both are rather portly and I can't see them getting in very easily . I'm fairly slim at 5'8" tall and 190 lbs and I have to hoist myself in since the original style wrangler seats are close to the non-tilt column it makes it a bit tricky. I'd almost swear that a set of lift springs were installed since I don't remember ever having any difficulty climbing in or out of a CJ but it's been so long I can't remember . Not a problem , it's a welcome obstacle ! Got to tell the story of its past ownership but that's for another thread . As far as the frame tie ins , I think that is very wise . Haven't looked for any but if I recall , there are bolt/weld brackets that allow the roll bar to be unbolted in the event the tub needs removal. Correct me if I'm wrong ? That would be my preference as well as anyone's . Jeeps are made to be disassembled / reassembled. Although the chassis is in great shape as there is only 110,000 on the clock , I want to preserve the frame inside and out. Will want the tub and front clip off for that . Naturally , I'll want to use the same anti rust formula on the under body as well . Of course , a complimentary coat of POR 15. I realize POR 15 in itself is all that's needed but I really want to do all I can to arrest any chance of rust I can . I live less that 1000 feet from the Atlantic and have watched the salt air do its deed . I'll be damned if I will let it happen to the jeep I've waited my whole life for . I've dreamed of a CJ 5 since me and my older brother fought over tonka toy cj5's . Ok , I think I've over drafted this post . I could write a book right now but you get the idea. I'm high on my jeep ! I pray the weather and funds will let me get some work on it but dad swears I should wait for spring . We'll see. He wants to paint it original and it could use a fresh coat. More to come on this new member to the forum but I think this is a good start . Again , thanks to all who's best wishes have been well received by myself and I'm sure there's more to come by our wonderful membership . And yes , pic's or it didn't happen !

Last edited:

Man ya just gotta get on the pic issue with a quickness. the suspense is killing us.

I think this time your Dad might be right....you can use the cold weather months to paruse the catalogs & daydream(aka plot & plan) your resto-mod. As to the rollbar frame tie in I agree(for what that's worth) that welding to the frame & bolting ala sandwich thru the body to the rollbar is the way to go. I added a front hoop for extra safety I hope to never need.You can check mine out in the projects forum under the thread titled Eugene II "78CJ if you've got some time to kill.

image-32335721.jpg image-2415899490.jpg image-1379127991.jpg image-575246991.jpg image-852334773.jpg image-2769039644.jpg image-2483252142.jpg image-2304879790.jpg image-2959320755.jpg image-3489854696.jpg image-3312091436.jpg image-546500850.jpg image-2116865336.jpg image-851876908.jpg image-1392074697.jpg image-1767228133.jpg Here are some pictures I promised . Couldn't get decent pictures of the bottom , just couldn't aim my iPad well . Will try again when able . Enjoy ! Man , I got to take photography lessons ! You think those distance shots were far enough away ? I posted that only one side had a rot hole by the roll bar but the PO had pointed out to me yesterday that he found a smaller one on the driver's side . It's cool , the guy was good people , honest and straight up from the word go. He couldn't just hand the jeep over to me without disclosing every detail he was aware of . That's the kind of guy you want to buy a jeep from. It hurt him to say goodbye to his jeep and wanted it to get a good home . I can't let him down. Got to do this right . Besides , I want it right for me too.

Last edited:

I think this time your Dad might be right....you can use the cold weather months to paruse the catalogs & daydream(aka plot & plan) your resto-mod. As to the rollbar frame tie in I agree(for what that's worth) that welding to the frame & bolting ala sandwich thru the body to the rollbar is the way to go. I added a front hoop for extra safety I hope to never need.You can check mine out in the projects forum under the thread titled Eugene II "78CJ if you've got some time to kill.

Thanks brother , will check out the thread . Your right , father knows best . Will have to scrape up the capital too since I depleted all available funds to make this purchase . But hey , you only live once so why not do it in a jeep ! I love your idea to add to the roll cage . That will put everyone's mind at peace . Wondering if anyone else got so much flack as I did over this purchase . At least mom and dad know it's under their watchful eye and won't wonder if I'm trying some daredevil stunt somewhere . As soon as I work out the funds for the classic insurance , registration and proper storage on my property , it will come home with me . Proper storage is a tall order but where there's a will , there's a way . Well , as you know , it's the iron duke ( used in many GM cars , Cherokees & wranglers ) backed by an Sr.-4 trans and a Dana 300 . Dana 30 up front and an AMC 8 7/8 in the rear . Got some work,to,do under the hood as you'll notice the dried up original vacuum lines and such . That 2SE carb works but got to get on that choke one day . I loved those distributors when they were in the Chevy citations and other FWD cars but no problem in a jeep ! You can actually GET the cap off . No messing with brackets , cables and linkage . I LOVE MY CJ !!!!!! I highly advise owning one !!!!!!
correction : the cherokee's and wranglers used a 150 CID (2.5 liter) tech 4 engine , not the earlier Pontiac 151 CID (2.5 liter) iron duke . Sorry for the error.

Last edited:

thank you sir ! Now I know how you felt when you got your first jeep . A CJ 5 ! My aim will be get it clean just like your YJ !
The yj is gonna get outfitted this month by " Dale Engineering ", in Hinton VA. Heard they do excellent work. I'll keep ya posted.

Back