Jeep bad steering box and death wobble

brankz

Have a 09 jeep jk

I had DW 6 weeks ago I swapped the drag link with a moog one and I fixed the problem but last week I starter having the worst DW ever now the steering box has clunks

I ordered all new tie rod and drag link

can a bad steering box cause DW or what's the worst thing that can happen to my steering box?

DW can take out a number of components. First either the alignment or some bad component starts the oscillation and other loose or bad components allow it to continue.
Often the track bar bushing and joint are bad. Also, The diameter of the bolt on axel end of the track bar is too small. You could purchase a larger diameter grade 8 bolt and nut from a hardware store.
To find the other components do a dry steer test. With the engine off crawl under and have someone turn the wheel from stop to stop. You look for loose components. TRE, track bar ends, control arm bushings,... Also check axel and drive shaft u-joints. Then jack the front end up and check the wheel bearings and ball joints. To do this grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake the wheel back and forth. Do the same holding the Teheran at 12 and 6 o'clock. There should be no play at any connection or joint. After replacing bad components get s proper alignment.

A bad steering box won't 'cause' DW but it will allow a wobble from a bump or tire imbalance to 'escalate' into full-blown death wobble.

DW has two aspects, something that causes a slight wobble that a vehicle in good working order can handle just fine, like a bump or tire imbalance, and a loose or worn suspension/steering component that allows that wobble to escalate into a high pucker factor death wobble.

A bad steering box won't 'cause' DW but it will allow a wobble from a bump or tire imbalance to 'escalate' into full-blown death wobble. DW has two aspects, something that causes a slight wobble that a vehicle in good working order can handle just fine, like a bump or tire imbalance, and a loose or worn suspension/steering component that allows that wobble to escalate into a high pucker factor death wobble.

That makes sense my jeep drives fine up to 60 65 but if I drive faster I get this crazy DW ( maybe because the vibration at that speed) before I only had DW when I hit or bump something will start

I'm just waiting for my parts to arrive so I can swap everything.

I can't wait to fix it I have a lift and 35s waiting for installation

Thanks for the input I feel better knowing I don't need to replace the steering box... Well I will but later on

Back