Advice

96cherokee

Hey guys I'm needing some advise. My jeep is a 96 Cherokee 4.0. My jeep has new plug and wires and new distributor. It's backfires threw engine side no exhaust side. It just started it a few days ago. The wires and stuff was changed a months ago. It does it for a few mins then it stops it died on me once today. When put it park it idles up. And suggestions and or advise would be appreciated thank u

Has it been doing it since the plugs and wires, or did it start randomly?

Backfires through the throttle body? are you getting a check engine light? 96 XJ is ODBI or ODBII, don't recall.
I would start with something simple like looking for vacuum leaks around the manifold. 96 I believe has two plastic vacuum fittings, one on the front and one on the rear top of the manifold, make sure those are not dry rotted, them move your way through the system. Then I would start looking at the timing. What is the mileage and how old is the timing set?

It's obd2. It's not throwing a code or anything. How would I time it if I had to do that. Get a it tdc then put the distributor back in. And for so reason I just noticed that I have black around the tip of my exhaust what could that be

Back