Do I try to keep her?

GirlzJeep

Good evening all!

I'm looking for some advice from the experts. A jeep has won over my heart but my mechanic boyfriend has since moved out. I don't know if I can maintain my beloved jeep on my own. Do I sell, try to keep and take her to expensive mechanics or try to learn the fine art of jeep maintenance on my own :shock: ?

'87 YJ with AMC360

Thank you for any advice you can offer!!
WonkyProfile.jpg

Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz.com
I vote for turning your own wrenches - that would get the boyfriend applicants lined up (who doesn't like a woman who works on her own Jeep).
Start with the easy stuff and build up your confidence. I've found that between the forum here and youtube videos I can learn anything I need to know. It's defiantly not rocket science.

Amen to that brother. Keep the jeep, you will regret it if you sell it. Anyone here that has sold their jeep has regretted it, including me.
Selling it for a money issue I can understand. But not for lack of knowledge on how to fix it when there are so many tools including this site to help ya out.

Welcome, got a good place right here for ya to get started on learning, I learned a lot here and got some good advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to jeepz.com X2 ! Great to have female members . Never doubt your ability , just give yourself the chance the chance to understand how something works . I personally love when a woman isn't afraid to take on her own work , just don't want her to get hurt the way I've gotten over the years. I know it builds character but we like woman to stay pretty . Dirt cleans off , but just take it slow and you'll learn not to get hurt. Start with a good pair of gloves and protective eye wear . There are plenty of girls on YouTube working on jeeps as well as cars and trucks and other things . Yes , guys will respect that and if they don't , you don't need them ! That was a crummy thing for him to split , he'll be sorry and you'll be so past that ! Love your jeep and it will love you back . It's rewarding in itself when you can fix it and improve it. We'll certainly help were we can and/or at least guide you best we can . We got lots of guys and gals ( jeepercorns ) who love jeeps and love wrenching on them . Best advise now is to access your jeeps condition . Post back any questions you may have . A good repair manual is a must but the best is a factory shop manual ( FSM ) . You can spend hours / days turning pages in them . This will start your basic understanding and education of auto/jeep repair and maintenance . Peruse the isles of the auto parts store(s) and get a feel of the products and parts in house and online. You'll get plenty of help in house , guys in parts store love to help woman . You can tell we thank you for your membership and are happy you chose us . I love when women join our forum . Love to see women not afraid to drive jeeps and wrench in them . Don't worry , our women will help you get started too . Women know how to do that . Pictures of your ride and a little about it is something we will be looking forward to . As our administrator has said , you can do this , just take the first step and open the hood , climb under , get to know your jeep . We like pictures , go ahead , shoot it up ! Looking forward to your posts soon .

Just want to say your off to a good start already ! A YJ wrangler with a 360 of the AMC era ! I got two AMC jeeps , a 1973 and a 1980 . Both CJ5's. Don't worry , you'll get to understand a RENIX era jeep . Research RENIX and you'll see that was the predecessor to Chrysler jeeps of today . No way we would let you give up a tough rigs like that . Your DEFINATLY off to a good start .

Agree with most if not all the above.

Consider joining a jeep club and look for 4x4 or jeep shops. The club members are like a family and some will offer cheap or free advice. The shops if you find a good one will know the common issues and keep it real. But having said that I've not found a good mechanic yet here. I do all my own wrenching.

Thank you all!

I'm really tempted to keep her. I would need to make some serious tool investments but this might just be empowering & therapeutic. Nothin' like Jeep Therapy. Thought I posted a pic, but here she is... I love this girl!

Wonky.JPG

Nice looking YJ!! Keep her! Just buy the tools you need when you need them...a piece here & there adds up. You're right about Jeep Therapy. "Jeep work is good work!"

Keep it! You'll learn a lot - between making jeep friends, online forums, and youtube. In reality, there will probably be something you have to take it in for, but if you find a trustworthy mechanic it might not be so terrible.
Welcome to jeepz :)!

Given the fact that you love your jeep so much , the excellent shape it appears to be in and all of the work done thus far , I really feel you'll regret selling it . If money isn't such a problem with regards to investing in tools and related items for maintenance purposes , that's status quo . There are folks who dream of finding a jeep this clean and built to this degree.
Dont give up your dream . We can clearly see that you love your jeep. What's not to love , it looks awesome standing still . I'm sure it performs great too. BTW , the 360 didn't come stock so I know it's a build since the engine wasn't in the RENIX family as I'm guessing you've still got a carburetor for the fuel induction . Unless it was converted to fuel injection ? Any chance we can get some pic's of the engine compartment ? Some close ups of the cabin would be sweet as well. Ok , we love your jeep too and we're begging you to keep it.
I agree with collecting tools a little at a time . Look for tool sets at sale prices around the holidays . At first you'll think you've got too many sockets or wrenches that you'll never use but as you get into more dedicated and advanced work , you'll find you don't have enough and always need something else. It happens to us all. Every job has a tool(s) that is essential to complete the task. We find that out as we go. Just don't be tempted to buy cheap as cheap tools don't last and don't perform either . Sometimes we luck out on cheap tools and do perform ( for a while ) or need something in a pinch but try to avoid that if at all possible. You can get hurt with cheap tools as well if they break or don't hold their bite and slip when your putting on the torque . Don't want that happening to you . Jeep work,is supposed to be fun , not a reason to visit the emergency room . Think every job out first and what you'll need to get it done.
That is key to success , planning ahead. walk,around your jeep and just think " what will I need if I have to remove this ?" . It really comes down to that. Nuts , bolts and screws .
Ocasionally , you'll see the need for a special tool . You will get Damian with them in your travels to parts stores or anywhere tools are sold .
A must is the repair manual . The factory service manual is best. Since your jeep is not stock , the modifications will have you collecting manuals to a degree . As long as you've got the important data such as what year the engine is and any other swapped in parts such as transmission and transfer case of that applies , that is necessary to obtain the right repair parts too. It sounds daunting but as long as you've got that info , you can place orders for the parts based on what year , engine size , etc. . You get the idea.
Imguess that why pictures will be helpful as we should be able to help identify a part in question or the unit itself ( I.E. , engine , trans / transfer case , differentials , etc. ) you can look for markings such as numbers and letters that are helpful in decoding drivetrain and powertrain parts . Data plates are sometimes found that are helpful . Usually on transmissions and t-cases and sometimes on differentials or at least stamped on them. A manual will help find the places where I.d. Locations exist. A manual even shows pictures which are helpful for identification too.
These are just some openers but as you get dedicated , you'll have more questions .
Whether you obtain help from a manual , an aquaintance , a. Forum or on line searches , the info is out there. A whole new world is waiting for you . Go for it girl ! We love jeep girls !

Last edited:

Nice looking Jeep, how many miles are on it?

Which part of the Country are you in? It looks awfully rust-free as if it were stored inside or from the southwest. Looks to have tow-bar tabs on the front bumper.

If you were close to the Midwest I might make you an offer lol. I'm currently Jeep-less but for the wife's Grand Cherokee.

I'm actually in NC. This was supposed to be my beach jeep.

I'm going to give it a go, guys. My plan is to find out what all her parts are... yes she's a rebuild.

Next step is to remove the drive shaft which is leaking at the seal into the t-case (I think). Seal was replaced before, but didnt last long. It's prolapsed now (Sorry, I'm a biologist) & leaking transmission fluid into a pile of kitty litter in my carport. Something about it all not fitting together right. Luckily she's got some big tires & I'm tiny so I should be able to work without a lift.

Here we go... wish me luck!

And.. now it's also clear how little I know. Haha. I will do quite a bit of research before I touch anything!!

Consider joining a jeep club

This is great advice. I'm a member of a Jeep club (not very active), and I see "wrenching parties" all the time. Jeep people love working on not only their own Jeep, but also others. You could likely get anything you want done for free if you're active in a club.

This is great advice. I'm a member of a Jeep club (not very active), and I see "wrenching parties" all the time. Jeep people love working on not only their own Jeep, but also others. You could likely get anything you want done for free if you're active in a club.
plus you will have a few people to ride with and learn from on the trail! Fun stuff

Many here would be more then happy with buying it from you. Even though it has square head lights ! lol ( just kidding for the thin skinned) Does it have any problems now ? If it is running properly, the maintenance is no more then other vehicles really. BTW, I find it funny that one moderator here is Jeepless, and another is not active with his club.

Back