Round tail lights

Jeepster05

Does anyone other than me have round tail lights on their YJ or TJ? I didn't perform this little mod, the guy I bought it from did. It looks really cool and makes my jeep real unique. I've seen em on pro crawlers and stuff but never on another jeep around here. I'd post a pic if i knew how.[addsig]

I do not have a YJ with round lights, I have the stock square light, but I have seen the "kit" to convert YJ into roundlighters. You are right, those are pretty rare. Thats cool, thanks for sharing, just the other day I was wondering if people actually convert their YJ's into roundlighters.[addsig]

oops, I misread. I thought you were talking about the headlights. Well, the same goes for the tail lights.[addsig]

Most of the time, those round lights you speak of are LED units generally designed for big rig's and their trailors. Pretty cheap and sharp looking. A friend of mine has two oval LED lights on each side. The top is a red brake light and the bottom is a amber light that glows in the shape of an arrow and used for turn signals.

Johnny[addsig]

I did the LED conversion a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that I love it, the only problem is that the turn signals flash like they're on speed now. I was told that the blinker switch works like a waste gate and now that the lights use less amperage the waste gate fills and opens quicker. Does this make sense and does any one know of a remedy? :-? [addsig]

rockwrangler,

Yes, what you say sounds correct. If you've ever towed a trailer you will notice the turn signals blink slower with the added lights connected. So it should have a reverse effect with smaller loads. Less resistance in a circuit allows more power to flow through the circuit, so the turn signal flasher blinks quicker. Since a light bulb filament is like a resistor, I think it may be possible to slow them down by putting a small resistor in series with the LED modules or finding a flasher rated for smaller loads.

And they actually install flashers in some of those LED modules to make them appear to spin or flicker :-? :roll: .

Hope this helps
-Nick [addsig]

XJNick is right on, I would start with something small like 10 ohm resistor and work your way up to what ever slows the blinker down enough! Most LED lights in the automotive aftermarket only require somewhere around .5-2 amps total.

I am unsure if a flasher with a different amperage rating will fit into the fuse block. I think they are all different sizes, but worth the try!

I installed LED's in my bikes tail lamp, and used a trailer wiring kit to make the tail lights blink instead of the blinkers. on my first attempt, those puppies were flashing so fast it almost looked solid. I ended up using about a 250 ohm resistor (don't remember exactly)

Johnny[addsig]

i wonder if you could wire a resistor to only half of the LEDs in the light fixture... i've never seen how they are set up.. i would assume they are put into a printed board, or placed tighltly into plastic, i don't think it would work... but the dual speed flashing would look pretty neat[addsig]

Thats a cool idea, I'll check into and let you know how it works out, thanks! :-D [addsig]

Cool idea Snitty. Although I think the LEDs in those clusters are wired in series, meaning they split the voltage. For example if the cluster has 6 LEDs, each would get about 2 volts. So for that idea to work you'd need two resistors (use different sizes), Just make sure each group of LEDs only recieves around 6 volts so you don't fry them.

edited by: XJNick, May 28, 2003 - 12:37 PM[addsig]

yeah, i wasn't sure how they had them wired... i would have assumed series because LEDs are not intended for high current. and ripping them apart to wire some in series with one resistor, then some in series with another resistor... that seems tough... unless you cut one connection and jumped them... since LED is a diode, it only allows the current to pass in one direction, so you might be able to split it into 2 circuits and return it to one without the current backing up to interfere with the outcome... here's something i tossed together for an idea.... if you know what you're doing, please let me know if this might do the trick
image-missing.png
[addsig]

actually no.. now that i think of it... that won't work... since it will ultimately be only one circuit... and putting the resistor inline anywhere in that circuit will only add resistance and slow down the entire assembly's flash...

eh... at least it was an idea... i know it could be done... but it would have to be 2 seperate circuits with 2 seperate currents, possibly with another flasher, and some relays

The above idea is most likely to make the LEDs flash at different brightnesses rather than speed

edited by: Snitty, May 28, 2003 - 02:23 PM[addsig]

still wont work.. because the single flashing unit is only seeing one load. if you use a seperate flasher wired in there... you can get it to work. but otherwise, the flashing unit is only seeing a cumulative load of the combined minicircuits[addsig]

Back