What does tread lightly mean?

redrooster

I used to volunteer for the Forestry Service at the Talladega National Forest here in Alabama. I know what they interpret "Tread Lightly" to mean, but what does everyone else think it means?

found my old lift website and tech tips! check it out!

It is my understanding that tread lightly is having a positive attitude towards nature when wheeling(and all other times of course). That means no littering, no destroying anything natural unless it is absolutley unavoidable, and leaving the trail just like you found it or better. That my interpretation of it, others may have things to add or dispute.

TARSI

Well, yes. The only mud i have around here is loose watery stuff that covers back up over my tracks. 5 minutes after i go throuh a mudhole, my tracks are gone and the only way that you can tell i have been there is some muddy tracks going back onto the pavement. As for creeks, as long as you don't destroy a beavers dam or something like that I would consider it to be treading lightly

TARSI

Why don't you tell us what you think it is?

It all depend how you take your Jeep through the mud hole and creek.

I think TreadLightly! it is not to be a jerk and respect the trail.

It means think befor you kick it! Don't give the Tree Huggers any more wood to throw on the already rageing fire. Be a good stewart of the trails and not the jerk guy digging out the holes deeper just to see the mud fly, and not maken new trails where there is no need for a new trail. To pack out the trash you take in and just use your head so others will be able to use the trails later on down the pike. that is what it means! tug

The Ranger's think more along the lines that if you are making deep mud holes then you add to the erosion of that area. Crossing creeks stirs up silt which is bad for the aquatic animals. They also ban you from areas where Red Cockaded Woodpeckers and other endangered animails live.
I view things more along the lines of what Tug said.
Erosion made the Grand Canyon and the rest of the earth, Woodpeckers may fly off, but they will come back, aquatic animals just need to swim out of the way or fall victim to the Boggers.

I went through basic training and AIT at Ft. Benning, GA, and they mentioned the protected Red Cockaded Woodpeckers during the safety briefing before every shooting range. They'd stop us from blowing the snot out of stuff if somebody spotted that bird. Funny I hear it here after all these years.

In the Mojave Desert we would reroute an entire convoy or road march if you cam across the protected Desert Tortoise.

Basically respect the environment and stay on existing trails. Cross the creek, but it's often illegal to run lengthwise in it.

http://www.treadlightly.org
TreadLightly said:
Travel and recreate with minimum impact
Respect the environment and the rights of others
Educate yourself--plan and prepare before you go
Allow for future use of the outdoors--leave it better than you found it
Discover the rewards of responsible recreation

i think tug & bounty hunter summed it up best.... be responsible, don't go out and tear the place up. if you need to cross a creek, think before you do, pick the best spot that will cause the least damage, and the least chance of getting stuck (and less chance of having to tear it up to get out). don't go through a mud hole and try to dig it deeper, try to get through without digging at all. if you climb an obstacle, don't floor it just to throw a rooster, put it in low and creep over it so you can pick a good line and not get stuck. Pack out what you bring in and pick up what the losers don't. Respect the rights of everyone who use the trail, if its a well used bike trail, don't do donuts in the middle of it. and most of all, don't drink & wheel... this is how stupid stuff ends up happening and people get hurt ( of course this will differ depending on the sport, this is how tread lightly applies to our group....)

It all comes down to two things, common sense and common decency. Of course, if they were so common everyone would have them :wink:

I agree with the picking up after yourself thing. Leaving so much as a cigarette butt could just tick off a landowner enough to yank permission or start the snowball to trash the place up.

I think it is only right to stay on the trail and not tear up perfectly good ground, but I'll admit I have made a detour between some trees to avoid a rut that turned a Jeep on it's side in front of me.

In some of those deep mud holes, the only way I'll get through them is to get my wheels spinning pretty good. The AT tires I have won't clean themselves otherwise and I'll get stuck. Flooring it just to dig the holes out bigger just screws it up for others and eventually will result in a bypass, and the cycle begins.

As far as crossing streams, I don't see that being such a horrible thing. How much of an impact would that really have on the environment? Seems pretty silly to me, especially when you see the State (Maryland) dump tons and tons of salt and chemicals on the raods when there is merely a dusting of snow. Seems pretty minute in comparison to the factories that make it neccessary for road signs like "This area is subject to dense smoke" along interstates (I695@ Key bridge). I guess it helps justify their jobs and allows them to feel in control of something that is out of control to pick on petty issues like 4 wheelers.

I tread lightly out of respect of other 4 wheelers and the property owners and the land. I've seen the creeks in Harford County near orange in color because of poorly (and illegally) managed construction sites. The creeks & streams are naturally tanish-brown after a gully-washer rainstorm. I hardly think a Jeep crossing Bynum Run would make a drop in a bucket difference as far as kicking up silt, especially if you ride through and not storm through.

yj howling!!!

I say Tug and Bounty have it right here. Tread lightly is basically the concept of causing a minimal impact.

Keep in mind Jeepers are usually out on the trails for recreation... we don't need to be. Salt needs to go on the roads to keep the population safe while driving, construction is completed to make somebody a home or place to work, etc. Those things have environmental impact, but they have a net benefit to society also. The impact that could be caused on the trail may be minimal in scale, but trail riding does not help the world to off-set the impact.

Man, I just re-read this and I sound like a tree hugger. I assure you that I am not. Just a bit long-winded at times I guess. I think most people tread lightly without thinking about it, but as with anything else that is fun, there are a few idiots out there that ruin it for all of us, and we have to try to set a good example. (now I sound like my dad.)

Killing as many living things as possible... JK.

I think we have it pretty well scoped out. Problem being, there's a Chevy blazer somewhere out there as we speak tearing up the countryside. 100% off path, dumping oil, sixpack plastics, cans and casings all over the mountainside. Getting all of the non-4 wheeler crowd up in arms.

Treading lightly to me, means getting those people (who don't know why what they do is wrong) to understand that their irresponsibility ruins it for us "responsible" folk.

Then, see how much wild life I can run down in my XJ... Them praire dogs are fast!! Just Kidding again. :)

mingez said:
Problem being, there's a Chevy blazer somewhere out there as we speak tearing up the countryside. 100% off path, dumping oil, sixpack plastics, cans and casings all over the mountainside. Getting all of the non-4 wheeler crowd up in arms.

Treading lightly to me, means getting those people (who don't know why what they do is wrong) to understand that their irresponsibility ruins it for us "responsible" folk.

Great point, education is a large part of Tread Lightly.

Not a jeep, but way cool!

Great! Now if we can get the rest of the world thinking like the responses here, maybe they would re-open some of the areas that have been closed.
The reason I volunteered for the Forestry Service was sort of a trade-off. They closed down the entire national forest to motorized vehicles (except for gravel roads) and gated off the trails. There was a large group of ATV riders in arms over it, so we got together and formed a club to work with the Forestry Service. Eventually they agreed to parcel off some areas for ATV trails. The agreement was that for every man hour we put in as volunteers they would match 1/3 with labor and equipment. After several years of dedication, we had 15 miles of trails to ride (now there's even more). They even put in bathrooms and parking areas.
The only downside is that all creek crossings were bridged over and all mud holes have a sort of holding area for run off. It's still a great place to ride but those were some of the major challenges of the trail.
I have since given up ATV riding and converted to Jeeps. Jeeps are still not allowed to ride off of the gravel roads there. So all the fun loving Jeep folks in the area are forced to either go home and cruise the mall or go around the gates and subject themselves to fines and seizure.
The problem is that anytime I mention getting a Club up to try to do the same thing for the Jeep crowd, everyone seems to shy away from the idea. I guess they are risk takers and don't want to take the proactive route. It's good to know that this board is supported by responsible enthusiasts who care about maintaining the land and our right to use public lands.

If someone were to organize something like that in southern NJ I know i'd be the first to volunteer my time to improving the place....

we have sanctioned trails around here for atv's and seperate ones for snowmobiles... and some people take thier trucks and rigs on them and ruin them... nothing worse than a rutted up sled trail... disrespect

Snitty said:
we have sanctioned trails around here for atv's and seperate ones for snowmobiles... and some people take thier trucks and rigs on them and ruin them... nothing worse than a rutted up sled trail... disrespect

do they have sanctioned 4x4 trails too? if not, that would explain the 4x4s onthe sled trails...

Now that all has been said it seems to boil down to be nice! Use the trails and not abuse them! Being considered outlaws but the earlyer wheelers "guilty" we have a bad rap! Remember when Harley Davidson riders were considered outlaws. They over came and now are very respected, by being smart JEEPER can over come as well. Now we can make things worse as well. So obey the common sence God gave you when off road and just plain "be Nice" tug :wink:

Back