2.5 vs. 4.0, sorry i am new to offroading

moose

I was just wondering if the 4 cylinder with a 5- speed will offer enough power to get me threw mud and snow and all around intermediate offroading. Any help is apreciated. thank you for your time[addsig]

Its all about personal preference. The 2.5 will get you anywhere, it just might not be as fast. With the proper driver, the 4 banger can hang with the big V8 boys, but has an advantage because its lighter.

TARSI[addsig]

I absolutely hated my 2.5 and would never ever get one again. The engine lacks power big time which makes daily driving and highway driving terrible. If you have the opportunity go with the 6. [addsig]

On-road the 2.5 is just fine. I commute to NJ (45 miles away) 3-4 times a week. That is all highway and I have no trouble at all maintaining 80 mph. I'm glad I have the 2.5 cuz if I had the 6cyl, I'd probably get a lot of speeding tickets.

TARSI[addsig]

I have a 4banger and I can do 85 downhill on the expressway. There's a little more pull on the expressway, but I can do 80. If you're driving it everyday, I wouldn't go with the 6, they chug a lot more gas, but if it's a luxury vehicle I would jump to the 6.[addsig]

I have a 4.2 6cyl in my YJ and I can barely do 90 maybe 95 goin down a hill but I'm runnin 33s on stock gears so I'm not sure how fast it'd be with 4.56s. [addsig]

Edmunds tells me 15/18 (6-cyl) and 19/20 (4-cyl).
Why is the highway mileage with the 4-cyl so low?
(This is for the 2003 Jeep Wrangler's 4.0 and 2.4.)
[addsig]

I like my 2.5. I find it a little slow on the highway, but it hasen't let me down on the trails. There are a few things you can do to get more power out of your 2.5. Right know I am looking into putting a spacer on my throttle body. And anything to to get more air in won't hurt.[addsig]

or you can be like me and find an old one. Mine is a pickup w/ 360 V8, edlbrock carb...[addsig]

I had a 2.5 and traded it in for a 4.0 because it just lacked power..but highway diving i really notice no differce besides pick up....but then again..a jeep is like a brick flyin down the highway..its not really a "speed" car. go with the 6 i say..you'll be wishin ya did in the long run[addsig]

They must have made a mondo about of 4-cyls.
Most of the 90s Jeeps that I see FS have 4-cyls.

I have a jetski that I might want to tow with my
future Jeep, so I was thinking I should stick with
finding a 6-cyl. My main vehicle is a 4.3L S10.
(But I would like the ability to tow with a Jeep.)

Were 6-cyls with manual trannies very common?
[addsig]

my ex-girl had a 2.5 -- It was fine but getting in it after driving my 6 was disappointing. I would never get one for myself. Gas mileage was not much different between the two-- we both got around 17. Although a 4 should get better mileage than a 6, it had such steep gears that when traveling the same speed it ended up with about the same mpg.[addsig]

jeeps with manuals are verry common with or with out the 6cyl....at least in my neck of the woods they are i have seen two auto jeeps around my town......one is a 2.5L the other is a 4.0L...never driven eather one but i have ridden in teh 2.5L and it didnt seem it lacked too much power....my friend just bout a 2001 sport with the 4.0L auto and havent gotten the chance to ride in it yet but when it followed it me it kept up just fine and i have the 4.2L 5 spd...but if it were me i would stay with the 6 cyl[addsig]

The 2.5 is a fine motor, it is a bit lacking in the high HP dept. but it will be fine as long as you take it easy on the tire size and don't plan on some high speed. If you do go to a larger tire keep in mind that you will need lower (higher numerically) gears in order to keep from bogging the motor. There are a few things you can do to help the 4 banger out, even minor bolt ons like a header and high flow exhaust and a good intake will help some. There is also the supercharger option that will bring you right into HP central.. a great option but an expensive one. To hell with cost, superchargers are so cool...

BUBBA[addsig]

PERK!!! Supercharger for a 2.5?? where??? gimme, gimme!!!! now that would be awsome at the mudhole...actually..with the right gearing...and some motor mods if you can do them yourself, or afford to have them done....the 2.5 is a fine motor...Clifford Performance has a special package performance deal right now...header, intake, 38 weber, cam kit, valvespring, retainers, pushrods...gaskets, etc...that will nearly double the power if combined with some head work and larger valves, and ignition mods...but that is off-road only stuff ;-) gotta keep the smog niffers happy :evil: And the lower weight of the 2.5 helps and there are 1/3 less parts to wear out...and even in a XJ I dont get in anybody's way on the highway...unless they are trying to get an invitation to the policeman's ball...yup..i like my lil ole 2.5...[addsig]

Back