TerryMason's 2005 Jeep TJ Build

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
This is the build of my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. It's an SE model, with an automatic transmission, and the 4.0 engine. It was pretty much stock, with some 31s and some bling rims. As for my build goals, this is my daily driver, and I'm not a welder, so as you can tell, most of my first mods are simple things (i.e. seat covers), then I move on to bolt on stuff, until we get where I am today (axle swaps and SYE installs).

I've owned my TJ for a couple of years now, so there will be some catching up to do on this thread. To get started, here's how the Jeep looked when I took it home.

017-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

015-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

016-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

018-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Bolt on madness

The first thing that I did was to head over to 4WD.com and order up some bolt on stuff:

Some mirror movers (they mount the side mirrors to the body of the Jeep) so that you can run without doors

022-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Some clear lenses - they replace the orange lenses

DSCF0057-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Tow hooks for the front bumper

DSCF0181-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Grab handles

IMG_1449-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Husky floor liners
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/22129-huskey-liner-floor-mats-jeep-wrangler.html

wrangler_oil_change 075-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Some Wet Okole seat covers
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/21337-wet-okole-seat-covers.html

Before:
seatcovers 001small.jpg

After:
seatcovers 002small.jpg

Last edited:
Upgrading the sound system

Next I upgraded the sound system in my Jeep. I started by replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket mp3 / ipod compatible one. You can see the full install here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/accessories/24018-radio-install-wrangler.html

IMG_0353-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0394-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Next I added some base to my setup by putting a 10 inch subwoofer inside of my rear seat. Read that full install here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/accessories/22414-subwoofer-inside-jeep-wrangler-rear-seat.html

IMG_0199-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0201-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0210-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0218-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0223-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0333-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0341-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0344-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0346-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

I finished it off by installing an amp using Skinny Pedal's TJ amp bracket. It mounts the amp up above the brake pedal, out of site and the elements. For my amp I chose an Alpine PDX 1.600 - it's a one channel 600 watt amp with a very small footprint.
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/31154-skinny-pedal-jeep-tj-amp-bracket.html

IMG_0406-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

DSCF1150-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

DSCF1152-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

DSCF1162-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Body Lift

I wanted to run larger tires, an eventually do a belly up skid plate, so I installed a JKS one inch body lift

Before the body lift:
01-Wrangler-Body-Lift-Install-Before-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

After the body lift:
02-Wrangler-Body-Lift-Install-After-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

The JKS kit was pretty complete.
03-Body-Lift-Kit-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

05-removing-old-body-mounts-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

06-body-mount-in-place-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

2.5 inch spring install

I had gotten tired of the 2 inch budget boost lift, so I decided to swap form some 2.5 inch Rough Country springs. I kept the Rubicon Express shocks from the old kit.

New vs old springs
IMG_2399-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

One side done:
IMG_2402-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

With the 2 inch budget boost
IMG_2401-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

With the new 2.5 inch springs
IMG_2417-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Front lower control arms

The new longer springs were not playing well, and ended up giving me a light case of death wobble. I decided to install new new adjustable lower control arms
full install - Jeep Control Arm Install

IMG_2485-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_1464-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Last edited:

BFG KM2s

Some new larger tires - 33 inch BFG KM2

IMG_3173-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Ford 8.8 rear axle

At this point I decided to try my first big boy mod. I dropped in a Ford 8.8 rear axle. This is quite a bit beefier than the stock Dana 35, and would be a good basis to build on. I rebuild the limited slip in the Ford axle and decided to run that for a while until I can afford a select-able locker.

Limited slip with 3.73 gears (matched my Jeep)

01-axle-id-tag-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

As it looked when I took it home:

02-stock-ford-8.8-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

03-stock-ford-8.8-left-side-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

04-stock-ford-8.8-diff-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

05-stock-ford-8.8-right-side-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

12-stock-ford-8.8-carrier-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

The S spring is what applies tension to the clutch packes (one on each side of the spring). This is the LSD (limited slip differential).

13-stock-ford-8.8-LSD-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

17-grinding-brackets-off-ford-8.8-back-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

18-grinding-brackets-off-ford-8.8-front-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

It took more work than expected to clean this thing up - that and about 10 cutting wheels.

19-cleaning-ford-8.8-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.jpg

Welded up and ready to install

IMG_1461-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

A new solid brand diff cover and some RTV. The stock diff cover is paper thin.

IMG_1445-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

These are parking brake cables from a Jeep ZJ. They mate up perfectly to the Ford 8.8

IMG_1467-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Axle installed in the Jeep

IMG_0122-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Here you can see the Spicer yoke adapter that allows my Jeep driveshaft to adapt to the Ford 8.8.

IMG_0125-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0126-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0127-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0128-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0130-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

IMG_0131-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-tj.JPG

Costs:

Ford 8.8 Axle
limited slip and 3.73 gears = $175

Diff Cover
Solid differential cover = $65
Solid Axle Heavy Duty Ford 8.8 Differential Cover

Gear Oil
Mobil 1 75-140 Synthetic = $19.99 x 3

Friction Modifier (for the LSD)
Summit Racing $5.95
Ford Racing Friction Modifier M-19546-A1 - SummitRacing.com

Bracket kit from Mad4wd.com
1 x TJ Wrangler Rear Axle Bracket Kit (Axle Kit-TJ) = $199.00 + shipping
TJ Wrangler Rear Axle Bracket Kit [Axle Kit-TJ] - $199.00 : Mad 4 Wheel Drive
Total: $216.11

Yoke adapter
Dana Spicer Ford 8.8 Flange Yoke Adapter 1310 U-Joint = $25.99 + shipping
Total $31.64

Yoke bolts - 12mm x 1.75 thread 12 point. Ford PN: N800594-S100.

Brakes
Advance Auto Parts
Wearever Silver Brake Pads MKD667 - 35.33
Wearever Silber Brake Shoes NB701 - 23.99
Wearever Brake Rotors YH145052 78.73
(i paid 126.27 for all brake parts)

Currie Disc Brake Hose Kit - $36.95 + shipping
Currie Enterprises Racing Rear End Categories
Total - $46.36

Labor:
Weld on Brackets = $200

Grand Total - 926.30 :shock:

It just never ends. There's always always something else that we want for our jeeps. I think you'll be happy with the 8.8. I put one in mine and altho the old D35 haden't gave out yet, The 8.8 gave me peace of mind.

It just never ends. There's always always something else that we want for our jeeps. I think you'll be happy with the 8.8. I put one in mine and altho the old D35 haden't gave out yet, The 8.8 gave me peace of mind.

I'm a fan of the 8.8, and the LSD in it isn't that bad (I haven't run with a true locker yet, so don't have too much for a basis of comparison). I did learn a few things during the 8.8 install:

1. you shouldn't try and mount the swaybar in the stock location (mounts under the upper control arms). Instead put the mounts next to the control arms. The reason is that the TJ swaybar isn't big enough to clear the 8.8's pumpkin, and will contact the axle.
  2. don't reuse the ABS hole as your axle breather. I originally mounted it there, and not only would the swaybar hit it, but the ring gear would force gear oil all the way up my breather hose, so that I'd be leaking stinky gear oil from up above my gas filler (where the axle vents). I had to move it back to the stock spot.

Savvy upper control arms

In preparation for a SYE I installed some Savvy adjustable rear upper control arms. These things are beautiful - I just hope they weather well and continue looking slick.

IMG_0467-savy-wrangler-control-arms-wrangler-savvy-control-arms.JPG

IMG_4559-wrangler-savvy-control-arms.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done, I am noodling this or a D44 if I can find one. There is a guy that builds 8.8's local will do the re-gear and locker of my choice (i buy he installs) for a pretty decent price. BUT the whole C-clip thing is still kind of a hang up. I know about the c-clip eliminator kit but... but not 100% yet.

Nicely done, I am noodling this or a D44 if I can find one. There is a guy that builds 8.8's local will do the re-gear and locker of my choice (i buy he installs) for a pretty decent price. BUT the whole C-clip thing is still kind of a hang up. I know about the c-clip eliminator kit but... but not 100% yet.

You many not have to do a regear, if you're using some stock Jeep gears (3.73, 4.10, etc). As to the c-clip, I don't think it's as much of a problem, since the 8.8 has disc brakes. If you break an axle, the disc brakes will hold the axle in, and let you limp off the trail.

Back