computer installation in the jeep... jeeputer / carputer

0okami.Digital

computer installation in the jeep... jeeputer / carputer (pics inside)

hey peoples. i'm new around here and I thought it would be ok to share a little something i did to my jeep...

Before:
image-missing.png

And after...

figuring how much space im working with...
image-missing.png

Back to the workbench to brainstorm... (it was a real mess back then)
image-missing.png

Testing screen and hardware:
image-missing.png

modifying the blackbox (staples security box) to store the vital hardware components:
image-missing.png

going good....
image-missing.png

the blackbox... almost finished...
image-missing.png

And testing:
image-missing.png

Now lets talk about whats in there...
- Asus motherboard / 945 intel onboard graphics
- Intel Pentium 2.5ghz dual core cpu (e5200)
- 140w DC/DC intelligent power supply
- 120GB Travelstar 2.5" SATA laptop hard drive - (hard drive has taken some serious abuse and still going!)
- 2gb ram
- usb wifi with jeeps antenna modified to be used for wifi antenna (not pictured)
- internet access via tethered iphone over 3g for when wifi is unavailable (not pictured) Great for streaming music or broadcasting the dash-cam. (also not shown)
- Brando (chinese made) mini wireless illuminated keyboard. I still want to vinyl dye keyboard case black...
- gps receiver (with iguidance software and custom audio files. )

Since I put a screen where the radio was, i had two options,
a) go without a headunit (headless) and use straight amps controlled by the line of the computer, or....
b) relocate the radio. I had a dead subwoofer anyway. So I decided to relocate the headunit.

image-missing.png

Searching for the right piece of scrap metal...
image-missing.png

Trimmed to fit:
image-missing.png

fits fine...
image-missing.png

More trimming... (that stuff stinks) ...Radio cage fitted.
image-missing.png

and done.. now i just gotta slide the radio in and HOPE its not too loose. (it was nice and snug) One thing to note,

the sony receaver i added will not play cd's worth a damn... but who uses cd's anymore anyway. I just needed the line

in and volumen/channel distribution features.
image-missing.png

Last edited:

-----continued.----

Putting the VGA touch screen in...
image-missing.png

Testing...
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

wiring some custom motherboard headers: LEDs, IEDs and emergency reset switch.
image-missing.png

Modified usless plastic to be usefull. I actually wanted to add some usb ports there for memory sticks, but i changed

my mind when I could not find a spare part incase i ruined that panel. the motherboard headers connect to this via

Cat5 wire and rj45 jacks.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

And here we have it!....

Inactive:
image-missing.png

Active:
image-missing.png

and the blackbox is hiding:
image-missing.png

oh almost forgot the obligatory jeep pic:

image-missing.png

And some software interface shots:
Centrafuse is the front end you see with the aurora skin:

Front screen (has more than whats shown... various pages with different buttons)
image-missing.png

Audio player (listening to ikimono gakari)
image-missing.png

random fun non functional items (although spike deployment can be implemented)
image-missing.png

Last edited:

I like it. Hey man, do you do mod's on the xbox 360 controllers?

I like it. Hey man, do you do mod's on the xbox 360 controllers?

naa... last controller mod i did was converting snes pads to work on LPT port. But nothing on the xbox controller yet. i have that usb wireless dongle to hook the controllers to the pc.... makes it pointless to mod the xbox controllers when set up is that easy.

That's slick. I like the idea of having a computer with a frontend on it. It seems kind of future proof.

So, what monitor / lcd did you use? It looks like an lcd made for a 5.25 inch bay.

That is sweet! I really like the way you did that....beautiful dog too.

That's slick. I like the idea of having a computer with a frontend on it. It seems kind of future proof.

So, what monitor / lcd did you use? It looks like an lcd made for a 5.25 inch bay.

its actually an automotive designed screen. MTSVO-SC K301 (hard to find anymore)

A lot of people are keeping an eye on a company called zenarc for screens in development but their last batch was quite a disappointment with issues running from lockups to damaged eject gears. Its going to be awesome once they get it right though.

Xenarc Technologies - MDT-X7000 - 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen LCD VGA Monitor

image-missing.png

the dvd/cd can actually function for data as well.

(seems they have them up for order again at 799.00ea) ouch.

I hate you people that make all that computer stuff look so easy!!!!! Haha! just kidding....well sort of!

Looks like it turned out real good! Very clean setup for sure

Nice install. Very clean.

I've run a carputer in my truck in the past and am running a semi-ruggedized UMPC with a sunlight visible screen now. The UMPC is as easy to install as a regular GPS (Ram mount, bracket, 12v DC power, and UMPC). I like having the extra functionality and mostly the larger screen for reading maps.

Because nothing else existed, I decided to make a touchscreen friendly topo mapping package that I'm now selling. This is my first post, but if anyone is interested, and it's OK with the admins I'll post a link.

Craig

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,790
I sent a message to the Admin but haven't heard back. We're sponsoring the site now, and I'm pretty sure it is of interest to anyone reading this thread... so, here's the blurb, a link to the video, and a couple of photos.

Overland Navigator turns any Windows netbook, laptop, tablet, or UMPC and a cheap GPS puck into an easy to use offroad mapping system. Rather than create tracks/waypoints and download them to your handheld GPS, Overland Navigator is designed to be used in the field as the GPS.

* USGS topographic maps are rich in detail. More than just roads.
* Maps are seamless and automatic
* Record GPS tracks and waypoints
* Ideal for netbooks and UMPCs - Uses the entire screen
* Touchscreen, mouse, and keyboard compatible

See the "Testimonials" section of our website for example installations (still need to add the Jeep examples).

Screenshots
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Awesome build, using the cat5 cable as a shuttle for the switches is an ingenious idea and I've never seen that done before.

When you built your Jeeputer did you use a micro-ATX mainboard or a nano-ATX? Also, I noticed you've only got one case fan in that system, is that sufficient cooling to run the computer continuously in ~80F heat with no A/C? And finally, which PSU did you use? It'd have to be small, yet capable, and have a good fan to run that and I can't find a good one :D

Oh, and I almost forgot, did you just hardwire up a DC-AC inverter for the PSU to feed from and if so how did it work out for you? I was thinking of hardwiring a DC-AC inverter, but on a switch, so I could turn it off when I wanted, because PSU's still draw small amounts of power when the computer is off for things like keeping the BIOS clock and I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks!

Awesome build, using the cat5 cable as a shuttle for the switches is an ingenious idea and I've never seen that done before.

When you built your Jeeputer did you use a micro-ATX mainboard or a nano-ATX? Also, I noticed you've only got one case fan in that system, is that sufficient cooling to run the computer continuously in ~80F heat with no A/C? And finally, which PSU did you use? It'd have to be small, yet capable, and have a good fan to run that and I can't find a good one :D

Oh, and I almost forgot, did you just hardwire up a DC-AC inverter for the PSU to feed from and if so how did it work out for you? I was thinking of hardwiring a DC-AC inverter, but on a switch, so I could turn it off when I wanted, because PSU's still draw small amounts of power when the computer is off for things like keeping the BIOS clock and I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks!

M-ATX board. Specificly the Gigabyte 645gcm (i know i know.... i said earlier it was an asus... That was in my older project which is done and sold.)
CPU is an Intel core 2 duo e7200 Wolfdale (waaauuUUU!!!!!! /ends howl) clocked at 2.53GHz

image-missing.png

Only 1 case fan does wonders actually. I was going to go with two, but i saw no need for it. the fan pulls in air, and the warm air rushes out of where the cables hook in. There is a LOT of air flow passing since it does not have the metal plate on the back.

image-missing.png

I have not had any issues with over heating and the system runs cool.
image-missing.png

(motherboard and CPU temps numbers appear to be switched around (bios bug?))

As for the power supply its an M4ATX:
image-missing.png

Review here: Review: M4-ATX 250 Watt Intelligent Power Supply - MP3Car.com
I have absolutely NO complaints about this PSU. NONE. Its perfect as far as i'm concerned. If you do plan on buying a psu STAY AWAY from OPUS PSU's. I had one and it worked when it wanted to and sometimes never shut down. This m4atx is nice. and it has a usb software interface to it too (which i have not had to use yet)

The psu is an automotive DC-DC power supply. Comptuers operate on DC-12v so there is no need for those bulky DC/AC converters boxes. You just need something stable and clean like the m4ATX PSU. It wires up just like an amp. +12v, Grnd, +12 remote/sensor switch on.

And its small as you can see:
image-missing.png

You can also wire it up to a switch but why do so if you can just wire up the remote wire to an accessory and just power it on from the ignition key acc/on? but, thats up to you. I do know you WILL want a reset switch incase it locks up. I learned this when mine locked up and i was on the highway (bad wifi driver at te time.) Only way to reboot was to a)pull over and shut down the car... or b) shut the car off, coast and turn it back on 30 sec later. (its nice having a manual vehicle! :p ) Lesson learned. Reset switch is vital.

Hmm.. any other questions?

Last edited:
I have been thinking about getting a scangauge, or similar device - it plugs into the odb II port, and can do things like - show me my correct speed (it can compensate for larger tires), and give me my current fuel milage. Can you do things like that with yours?

The more I think about this, the better it sounds

I have been thinking about getting a scangauge, or similar device - it plugs into the odb II port, and can do things like - show me my correct speed (it can compensate for larger tires), and give me my current fuel milage. Can you do things like that with yours?

The more I think about this, the better it sounds

for obdII hardware i use the serial OBDpros scan device: OBDPros

And for software i use EasyObdII Version 2.2.0: EasyObdII - ScanTool.net OBD-II Elmscan Interface Software - EasyObdII Version 2.2.0 (Powered by CubeCart)

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

(screen shots are not from my vehicle) but its the same software i use for OBDII

image-missing.png

Its very functional for what I need. I leave it plugged in all the time.

Is that capable of CAN B(controller area network) and CAN C communications on the newer Jeeps?

One more... what GPS receiver did you use? :D I want to get Overland Navigator going so I'd like to use the GPS you used since it's apparently compatible.

Thanks for answering my questions. After checking out Mini-box I am thinking I'll just go with one of their Atom systems. I can get a full working dual-CPU Intel Atom system ready to have windows loaded on it WITH a 7" touchscreen + mounting brackets, wiring, everything else for ~$550. I can't even build it myself that cheap.

Last edited:

I like the way that his jeep is all nice and clean on the inside.... and shiny..... i can't ever get mine to do that lol

Back