Pioneer radio zilched by choppy ice roads

Turbogus

Years ago when I had a '77 CJ5 I had one of these 'bulletproof' Pioneer KP500's to augment the stock AM radio that those years came with;

2011_1207_160127.JPGThis thing lasted through countless hours of off road rattling, shuffling and general abuse and when I sold that Jeep it went into the Blazer I got a few years later. I thing it's still lurking in a tool box somewhere. I really liked the Pioneer Supertuner tech as the area I live in didn't have stations I liked so was listening to KGON up in Portland (90 miles distant).

I've stuck with Pioneer since those days and have an old AM/FM Cassette still in my van.

Most recently driving over icy wintry roads I encountered several miles of chop, washboard like vibrations on account of LaGrande's of trucks chewing up the road. This heavy vibration knocked the bobblehead 'Rat Fink' from my dash and zilched the radio Pioneer KEH P3700
35336770keh-p3700.jpg
to where even at steady state cuts in and out with static. So I reckon it's time to find another single DIN radio that'll fit in that tight space behind the CJ's dash that is vibration resistant. Anyone know of the latest generation of Pioneer (or other maker) of AM/FM Cassette or CD that can work in our rigs?

Last edited:

I'm not sure if Electronics is the best section for this. I may need to make a special vacuum tube & magnetic tape audio storage section

Yeah those Supertuner's are great and although I'm an analogue man in the digital world I like the feature of some of the UB Pioneer having a front USB port so I can do without the Tunecast device I've been using. Trouble is, the defroster tube inhibits depth clearance for many radios on the old CJ's, I thought I only just got the KEH squeezed in there, but after taking a closer look last night it looks as though I could fit a Pioneer CD player in there.

Last edited:
Turbogus, I repair antique electronics, "as a hobby", and would be happy to refurbish your old stereo, if you would like.
I have repaired thousands.
I am not very fast, but I'm good, and cheap.

I've got an old am/fm 8track radio that has some sentimental value I would like to have fixed if possible, are you interested?

Sure, I started out with vacuum tubes, I go back to reel-to-reel, and the four track players.
As I said previously, I will be slow, probably talking a month, but I do it for one of many hobbies. I don't do it as income, I do it because I love doing it.
If you want to get it repaired I will email you my address to send it to.

Turbogus,
Glad to hear is lives....
I live on a very rough road. My new Chevy Cruze started having strange electrical problems.
I found (all) of the fuses under the hood had vibrated 1/4" out of the sockets.
Just had to push them back in, and problems went away.
Now every time I change the oil I reseat all fuses.

Geeze Tison, there must be a way to keep those in there.

I am going to pack foam rubber on top of them, then snap the cover back on.
It probably doesn't need much pressure to keep them in place.
I have never seen that happen before!
Maybe they make them cheaper now.

Back