When i accelerate in my 99 GC limited v8 mileage dissapears and ABS and BRAKE light

Could be a bad BUS connection at the gauge cluster. Give the dash a good whack on top in various areas when it occurs and see if you can get it to come back that way. If so, bad connection.

May sound crazy but check your battery, battery connections, ground connections. Include the ground point behind the gas pedal that goes to the dash cluster.

Lose connections or loose battery will reset trip odometer and cause many issues.

my bf is a mechanic and he says the alternator is over charging or something cause he noticed that the gauges go way up instead of just regular acceleration idk how he explained it but thats what i got from it he says he knows what it is and its funny cause he has a biig jeep grand cherokee but his is a 95..he has it on 44" super swampers it's his "mud rig" and his alternator is doing the opposite its holding just enough of a charge to start it..so they are doing the opposite. Can't remember what he said it was that was making my jeep have that problem but he says the part is $200 so its gunna suck if thats not actually what is wrong with it..ill tell him what you guys said and hopefully we will figure this out! cant be driving my son around in it if its gunna be messing up on me :/

Yes if the ground is floating the alternator voltage can rise. There could also be bad components. Going from free to cheap to $$$

Verify battery voltage engine off and running. Off 12.6v running 14.4v.
Clean and inspect battery and alternator connections. Include the opposite ends at body and engine.
Have the battery load tested.
Have the alternator load tested.

Also as mentioned it could be the BUS connection on the dash. It happens a lot.

Good luck and post back results or questions.

Last edited:
i drove it for like an hour yesterday and it only did it once..it was fine the rest of the time but then when i put it in park in my driveway..the thing to the left of the speedometer was going up and down a little the needle was moving by itself n i could hear it wasnt idling right..like i could hear it it sounded n looked like i was pushing on the gas a little when i was in park..it was very weird so idk if that connected to the hole issue or if thats just another thing..?

I believe it is connected to the same issue.

I had this happen twice. Once after I did some work on my jeep some time ago. I didn't tighten the battery ground terminal. At times it idled irrationally or didn't start. Here tightening it fixed the issue.
Another time it was the body ground was oxidized and the engine idled funny and the battery Hague swung between 14 and 16. Cleaning the ground connections and battery terminal and connectors did the trick.

Has your BF had a chance to check the battery? It's easy and cheap if not free.

unfortuneatly not his jeep and his truck take priority. He works 6 days a week..and on sunday he usually is fishing or working on one truck or the other or his mudding jeep on 44's! my vehicle obviously doesnt matter :{ he says its fiiine and it doesnt have to be fixed right now. the exhaust on his truck is rusting and his jeep isnt running right so he's been going crazy trying to fix those cause those are whats really bugging him. he just doesnt have the time. I dont have a job im frikkin 36 weeks pregnant only got a month left so i have no money cant afford to get it fixed by myself. :{ so i am unfortunately screwed..and have to drive that thing to all my appointments.

Sadly no now it is accelerating when my foot is on the brakes and im at a stop light! i have to put it in park...the rpms go over 1000 sometmes up to the 2,000 mark it just revs up ever when its in park :[ he thinks it has something to do with the computer also so we are gunna get a new computer for it and hopefully that solves the problem..i wish the check engine light would come on so we could get a better idea of whats wrong! my friends say that happened to them int heir cars but they all said something different..one friend said there was a bad sensor another one said something about something being stuck idk! but my bf will have to figure it out! i was so mad he had me stop at the auto part store the other day and he came out with a part for his mudding jeep...like wtf mine is way more important! i have prenatal appointments every week im due may 27th in 2 weeks -.- so now that its acting up im just gunna stop driving it and keep using his truck lol maybe he will fix it faster if im always taking his truck lmao

Back