1978 Wagoneer Limited (Power Rear Window Issue)

mookiex4

My rear window will not operate with the key at the tailgate or by the switch up front.

How do I test to see it is the motor, solenoid switches, wiring? It must be an issue in the tailgate since the tailgate switch and the front switch equally do not work.

Is there a way to either bypass the electrical and hook up and after market switch to run the motor or a Hand Crank conversion kit so I can abandon it completely.

My cousins bought the Jeep new and said that it developed a short that would ill the battery and nobody was ever able to find it. Bypass or abandoning it may be the best for it anyway.

I hope someone can offer some advice or help. In the meantime I cannot roll down the window or use the tailgate.

Thanks...
:???:

My buddy has a Wagoneer and I have not tried it but he rolled his window down by removing inside panel and using a battery off a cordless drill and jumper wires to bypass the switch. There is a safety switch you can look at when you get your window down and tailgate open. This switch is located on the driverside of the gate when it is open near the top. A manuel crank was offered, but I have never messed w/ one. I have a expanded diagram of the tailgate and insides if you would like me to e-mail it to you let me know.

If you want to convert to manuel window operation maybe you can contact this guy

Manual Tailgate Regulator and Handle Iowa
This unit works flawlessly..I am going to remove it tomorrow from a rust free shell I am using. It comes complete with handle, but no key.(it is unlocked now) 100.00 email skulybros@aol.com I will Take paypal

I picked up a '78 wagoneer last week and everything works ...except the rear window.It's stuck down.
I popped the big panel on the tailgate off but you can't get to anything while window is down. Got the wife to hit the switch up front but nothing happens even while messing with the safety switch.
Why did they not have a manual crank for back up on these things??

Ready to get back to work on my j-10...simple tail gate ! haha

Back