Brake Lights not working, everything else is!!!

Jsplurge

Ok, just like the title says, I have running lights (both L&R) and also directionals (both L&R), I am going freaking bonkers trying to figure this out! I have changed out the flasher, brake light switch, checked all fuses, and nothing is helping the situation. All grounds are grounded, and I am out of thoughts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not completely related, but I'm having the same issues with a '96 Explorer. Fuses, brake light switch, etc is good. I have power(checking with testlight) going into the stoplight switch, and power coming out when pedal is depressed. From there, the wire gets lost in a huge bundle of wires under the dash, that I can't follow. The correct wire in the harness, running along the door channel, has no power running through it. So, there's something between there, and the switch. I just have to find it.

So, I say, start tracing the wires, and see where power stops with the pedal pushed. Not sure on your Jeep, but an old Ford mech told me the wire from the brake switch runs up into the steering column to the turn signal switch, and emergency flasher switch. Must find a wiring diagram!

Probably wasn't much help, but maybe it'll help some. And hopefully somebody else here can give us a better steer!

Use a test lamp to check the circuit on the brake switch going to the rear of the Jeep. If there's 12v on the switch, keep following that circuit to the rear until you find an open circuit. It could be just the harness connector on the body to the rear harness.

Have you checked the wiring connection at the top of the brake pedal? I somehow managed to kick mine off one day and it killed the reverse and brake lights.

The turn and brake are the same wires all the way out to the lights. So, if you have turn signals back there the wiring all the way to the lights should be OK. I'm pretty sure the brake power goes through the turn signal switch. If you're sure the brake light switch is good, and you have power there you might have a bad turn signal switch (or multifunction switch if it's a TJ). Best of luck - John

wow pain to follow the wiring diagram but here goes.

main fuse panel under hood fuse 3 to sub fuse panel inside jeep fuse 3 15 amp. goes to brake switch on top of brake peddle (has four wires not the one further down that has 2 wires and is used by the abs system to monitor brake peddle movement) then the wire splits 2 ways....if you have a hard top
one wire goes to the high level brake lights or soft top it goes to a door mounted brake light if installed. if you have a high level or center mount the light should work if the fuses are good and the door is shut.
other wire goes to steering column hazard switch then to turn switch and on to rear lights.
as posted before the brake and flasher are the same wire so the lights flash the wire is good.

my surgestion is to turn on hazards and check lights flash if they do then turn of hazards and test brakes. if brakes dont work then the hazard switch is most proberly the problem. i have a pdf of the yj 95 wiring diagram if you need one.

hope this helps

bad grounds will prevent brake lights to light dirty sockets ect

The turn and brake are the same wires all the way out to the lights. So, if you have turn signals back there the wiring all the way to the lights should be OK. I'm pretty sure the brake power goes through the turn signal switch. If you're sure the brake light switch is good, and you have power there you might have a bad turn signal switch (or multifunction switch if it's a TJ). Best of luck - John

Ok, so this would be the piece inside the column then correct? I think they sell them special order at Autozone for 24.99, basically a harness I'm changing out.

On a 94 (that is your year Jeep, right? ) I think you have to pull off the steering wheel to get to the switch. The ones I've played with had the harness (more of a long pigtail with a connector) as a part of the switch. The leads are riveted to the contacts and are long enough to run down the column to the mating connector right near the dash. Did you check to see that you had power through the brake light switch? I'd hate to see you pull this all apart for nothing. Best of luck - John

On a 94 (that is your year Jeep, right? ) I think you have to pull off the steering wheel to get to the switch. The ones I've played with had the harness (more of a long pigtail with a connector) as a part of the switch. The leads are riveted to the contacts and are long enough to run down the column to the mating connector right near the dash. Did you check to see that you had power through the brake light switch? I'd hate to see you pull this all apart for nothing. Best of luck - John

John, yes it is a 94', I figured I would have to take off the steering wheel, but yes I have check the power on the brake light switch and it's there, just a no go on the brake lights. This is driving me crazy. :???:

If you have been messing with any wiring re-check the 10amp fuse and make sure its good...I had tried just about everything and been having wiring problems for over 2 weeks...i replaced the fuses so many times, while messing with the wires i blew the brake light fuse for i think the 5th time...then after replacing the brake light switch (which wasn't bad it turned out) i check the fuses again and the damn thing had blown again and that was my problem..some times its the simplest things that get overlooked like in my case...i had only headlights and rear running lights and nothing else but finally got it sorted out...
you'll get it just go over everything again, i know how frustrating it is..

**UPDATE**

Ok, So briefly last night as I was leaving, I haven't had the chance to check anything etc. No wires messed with nothing, all I've changed out was the brake light switch, my brake lights worked momentarily then a little ways down the road, out again! While they were working though I did manage to reach down under the dash and unplug the brake switch and the brake lights didn't work then plugged it back in and the brake lights were back working, so the switch is good. What now, any suggestions???

**UPDATE**

Ok, So briefly last night as I was leaving, I haven't had the chance to check anything etc. No wires messed with nothing, all I've changed out was the brake light switch, my brake lights worked momentarily then a little ways down the road, out again! While they were working though I did manage to reach down under the dash and unplug the brake switch and the brake lights didn't work then plugged it back in and the brake lights were back working, so the switch is good. What now, any suggestions???
Check the terminals for corrosion and the switch for proper adjustment.

wiring.JPG

poor contact in hazard switch i hope this helps (sorry poor quality drawing)

**UPDATE**

All, thanks for the input, after a day of tearing the Jeep Dash out for a gauge rewiring, I searched for the brake light wire from the brake light switch and low and behold I followed it through the harness and I found where it had rubbed against the dash frame and was grounding itself out. Thanks again everone for the suggestions.

For the "poster" that said the brake and turn signals are on different filaments of tehs ame bulb; No they are not. Brake/turn share the same one and the parking lights ("running" lights) are on teh other filament within the same bulb. (except on vehicles like an XJ, with the "extra" amber turn signals) On a YJ (we are talking about the vehicle in your sig, RIGHT?)

:?| Ok! Now I only have one light, driver side work, passenger side no worky! Any ideas? Thanks in advance.:???:

bad grounds will prevent brake lights to light dirty sockets ect

I realize I'm three years late on this thread, but I'm new to Jeeps (and most mechanical work) and am having the same issue.

Please forgive the ignorant question, but what is meant by "check the grounds"?

Back