CJ7 258 Oil Dipstick Tube?

PoliceMonkey161

Ok....... I have a broken oil dipstick tube on my 258. Apparently, this part was discontinued and is no longer available????? I looked and called all over. I was told that the tube from a yj would work, but the stick would need to be re-marked for the correct level.

Anyone have any ideas? I would like to keep the long style tube that is currently on the CJ.

Thanks,

Is the old one beyond repair? Maybe braze it back together?

This may be way out there I broke the dip stick tubing on my 4.0. Found the tube is the same length as a 2.5. The 2.5 tube mounting bracket needs some massaging but it works.

BUTTY said:
This may be way out there I broke the dip stick tubing on my 4.0. Found the tube is the same length as a 2.5. The 2.5 tube mounting bracket needs some massaging but it works.

Do you mean the 2.5L / 4 cylinder Jeep motor? If so, do you remember what year? I ran across someone with a new OEM tube for the YJ 4 cylinder.

808CJ7 said:
Is the old one beyond repair? Maybe braze it back together?

Unfortunately, I think it's beyond that, but I can't tell for certain because the PO built up a surrounding of epoxy at the base and it (the tube) moves around freely now. I knew about this when I bought the Jeep, but was not leaking and I kind of forgot about it. I've removed broken tubes before, I just want something to put back in right away.

Collinsbrosjeeps/used parts.com Sorry, don't know how to post the link with an I phone. But if the four cylinder tube doesn't work out, these guys should have it.

808CJ7 said:
Collinsbrosjeeps/used parts.com Sorry, don't know how to post the link with an I phone. But if the four cylinder tube doesn't work out, these guys should have it.

I called them and all they could do is pull one from a doner. I've seen pulled ones before and they usually get mangled on the way out. So it's an option, but I would like to try to find a new one (even used, but verified condition). I'm follow ing up on the 2.5L idea.

I believe its just standard 1/4" tubing, wouldnt be too hard to just fabricate your own.

Use a 1/4" flat washer to make the stop collar on it, and the weld it on and grind it down to fit. Put an o-ring under the collar for the seal.

Make the bends that you need, then cut it to length. You can either make the new mount or cut the one off the old tube, weld it on, and call it done. except for some paint .

I would think that would be something simple, and that way the original dipstick will still be accurate.

Send me a pic and measurement I have another dipstick tube.

BUTTY said:
Send me a pic and measurement I have another dipstick tube.

Thank you ....... I'll keep that in mind BUTTY if what the dealer ordered is not right. The Jeep dealer order me the tube and stick from a YJ and said it's very close in length. The tube will need to be shortened at the end leading down inside the block and stick will need to be remarked for level. Best part, $18.00 total. The parts should be in early next week.

Well, got the new parts from the Jeep Dealer for the 4.0L and it worked well. Needed to cut off about two inches from the bottom of the new tube, re-mark the FULL level and re-weld the mounting bracket (probably could have bent it to fit, but wanted a cleaner look). I did a "how to" article if anyone is interested.
Oil tube 016.JPG

'Black Betty's' got the 360 but after replacing two dipstick tubes I happened to notice some of the old 6's had a stanchion had a tab from the valve cover to support the tube, since I was getting tired of replacing that danged thing I fabbed up my own stanchion using plumers tape, it may not be pretty, but it works;

4579854418_f77e47d4fd_z.jpg

Ok....... I have a broken oil dipstick tube on my 258. Apparently, this part was discontinued and is no longer available????? I looked and called all over. I was told that the tube from a yj would work, but the stick would need to be re-marked for the correct level.

Anyone have any ideas? I would like to keep the long style tube that is currently on the CJ.

Thanks,

DIPSTICK TUBE BROKEN; Remove broken in block with 1/4" easy- out. Buy short piece of 1/4" brake line tubing. Clean everything with acetone or a de-greaser. Cut brake tubing 2 to 3 inches long. Put a mark on the brake tubing at the half way point...in the middle of it. Coat tubing with RIGHT STUFF sealer or equivalent. Tap brake tubing half way into bottom half of broken dip stick tube. Tight fit but thats what you want. Tap top portion of dip stick tubing into remaining portion of brake line tubing but just before it bottoms out put a ring of sealer in gap between pieces then tap together. Put more sealer on outside of tube. Put sealer on block where tube enter it. Install DS tube into block and line it up by bolting the flange to the block. Strong joint and will NOT break again.

Cj7 broken dip stick tube easy strong fix

Thanks,

DIPSTICK TUBE BROKEN; Remove broken in block with 1/4" easy- out. Buy short piece of 1/4" brake line tubing. Clean everything with acetone or a de-greaser. Cut brake tubing 2 to 3 inches long. Put a mark on the brake tubing at the half way point...in the middle of it. Coat tubing with RIGHT STUFF sealer or equivalent. Tap brake tubing half way into bottom half of broken dip stick tube. Tight fit but thats what you want. Tap top portion of dip stick tubing into remaining portion of brake line tubing but just before it bottoms out put a ring of sealer in gap between pieces then tap together. Put more sealer on outside of tube. Put sealer on block where tube enter it. Install DS tube into block and line it up by bolting the flange to the block. Strong joint and will NOT break again.

Back