Taurus 2 Speed Fan Help

Catoctin Jeep

Official Vendor
Over the weekend I installed the 2-speed taurus fan in my TJ. I used the Volvo relays and a dual temp switch. Everything works the way it's suppose to. My TJ has a/c, so I tapped into the wire at the low pressure switch closest to the firewall. When the a/c is turned on the low speed side of the fan comes on. Now when the a/c is off and the fan comes on with the temp. switch it is cycling the a/c clutch. Is this due to the fact that I tapped into the wrong wire or do I need to install a diode.

Thanks for your help..

Do you have a wiring diagram of your setup?

Here is the diagram I used and modified.

Volvo wiring.jpg

so what did you modify? Where and how?
Also I believe I read the starting amp of a tarus fan is really high like >60 amps. Did you measure the starting current of the fan?

Also you are using the inline temp sender in your other post?? How is this grounded to the motor or chassis? They usually need to be grounded to work properly

Last edited:

The fan is working properly with the dual temp switch as well as the inline tube. The switch + side is grounded to the chassis, #1 is low speed, #2 is high speed. Also the start up amp. was nowhere near the 60 amp. that has been stated. My only problem is what wire do I tap for the a/c ( possibly the clutch wire ). In other words I want the fan to come on when the a/c switch is turned on in the cab. What I may do is just use the high speed for the a/c only and just keep the low speed wired as shown.

What I deleted is the relay coming from the 12v. power source. The Volvo relay takes care of that. But I did retain the 30amp. fuse. That was a given.

Over the weekend I installed the 2-speed taurus fan in my TJ. I used the Volvo relays and a dual temp switch. Everything works the way it's suppose to. My TJ has a/c, so I tapped into the wire at the low pressure switch closest to the firewall. When the a/c is turned on the low speed side of the fan comes on. Now when the a/c is off and the fan comes on with the temp. switch it is cycling the a/c clutch. Is this due to the fact that I tapped into the wrong wire or do I need to install a diode.

Thanks for your help..

Here is the diagram I used and modified.

View attachment 14977

The fan is working properly with the dual temp switch as well as the inline tube. The switch + side is grounded to the chassis, #1 is low speed, #2 is high speed. Also the start up amp. was nowhere near the 60 amp. that has been stated. My only problem is what wire do I tap for the a/c ( possibly the clutch wire ). In other words I want the fan to come on when the a/c switch is turned on in the cab. What I may do is just use the high speed for the a/c only and just keep the low speed wired as shown.

What I deleted is the relay coming from the 12v. power source. The Volvo relay takes care of that. But I did retain the 30amp. fuse. That was a given.

I tapped off the a/c relay (blue wire yellow line pins #2&3on relay) under the fuse block on the passenger side. My fan uses the flex a lite module so there was no additional circuits needed. But I would look at connecting the above to pin#2 with a diode in series.

Sorry if it seems like i'm asking the same question but the diagram is a basic setup without the a/c connection.
I highlighted the above because this is what I was questioning. Where in the circuit diagram is this tap located? I do not see the a/c represented.

Last edited:

I'll check for the wire coming from the a/c relay as you stated. I didn't want to represent the a/c hookup on the diagram until I knew for sure what wire to use. Once I get it figured out I'll redo the diagram and repost it with the changes.

Yes the diagram is basic and very simple to understand.

Comming off the bottom of the a/c relay located in the fuse block under the hood passenger side. Relay pins normally 30 and 85 are marked 2 and 3 on the relay in this position.

To find this I had someone turn the a/c on and off while I probed the relay socket for a voltage change.

Last edited:
I would recommend taking the low temp side of the temp sending unit to the rear low speed signal then using a 5 pin relay take the a/c connection to pin 85 and the high temp side of the temp sending to one pin 87. Then power pin 30 and ground pin 86 And the second pin 87 to the Volvo high speed signal. This way you have high fan setting for high temp and a/c.

Taurus 2 Speed Fan Wiring Diagram With A/C in a Jeep Wrangler

Taurus 2 Speed Fan Wiring Diagram With A/C For Jeep Wrangler.

After searching long and hard for a wiring diagram using a Taurus 2 speed fan and A/C in my Jeep Wrangler, I decided to figure it out myself. This is the setup I used and it is working great. Most diagrams I found were just wiring in the fan without A/C. The fan does not turn off and on with the clutch cycle, it stays on. When the A/C is turned off the fan goes off as well, accept when the temp sensor has been triggered.

Here are some pics of the fan installed with the updated wiring diagram. Sorry, when I took some pics the fan wiring was not 100% complete

Attachments

• volvo updated diagram.jpg
    volvo updated diagram.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 26
  • fan pics 004.JPG
    fan pics 004.JPG
    499.7 KB · Views: 28
  • fan pics 006.JPG
    fan pics 006.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 31
  • fan pics 007.JPG
    fan pics 007.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 27
  • fan pics 008.JPG
    fan pics 008.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 26

Looks clean. Why not use the high side for the a/c?

Anyhow post back after some really high temps and stop and go traffic driving and let us know how it works out.

You can use the high side for the A/C if you want. It doesn't matter. Either way you can wire it in directly to the high side temp switch (2) wire, and with the Volvo relay it will cancel out the low side even if it has been signaled from the low temp. switch (1). This is good because you don't want both speeds engaged at the same time.

If anyone needs these parts I can supply them for you.

Ok, I know this is one of my old posts, but JPNinPA wanted me to post an update on this fan swap. It's been a few years and the fan has worked flawlessly. Temps have been around the high 90's with a few days hovering around 100dgr. With the a/c going full force there has been no issues with cooling, not one time. I have done long distance travel on the highway along with city stop and go.

I'm glad it worked out for you. On my setup I incorportated an override switch using the blue line from the sender control, just in case the automated circuits fail. Also I ran all my grounds back to the battery.

Good Idea on the override switch. One thing I should do is to install a main switch to turn it off for deep water crossings.

Inkeeping with some diagrams I've seen online I'm using a dpdt switch

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8783388303_5ea2783816_b.jpg
    8783388303_5ea2783816_b.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 7844489932_90e46c66c4_b.jpg
    7844489932_90e46c66c4_b.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 17,168

I like it. Thanks for the posting. I'll work on it with my application and then update my diagram. Great work..

Back