98 wrangler output shaft

loosecannon

So, I have a 98 wrangler that I picked up, I've been poking away at its issues a little at a time. I have some clunking going on, sounds like its right underneath my seat....pretty much only when I hit bumps. The only thing that I could find that doesn't seem right is that when I grab onto the front driveshaft closer to the t case and push up and down, I have some play there...the u joints seem tight...seems like all the play is where the output goes into the transfer case. Is this common in the wranglers...am I going to have to drop the t case to resolve this issue? Any feedback would help..

That's not likely the cause. It's more commonly bad control arm bushings or a busted drivetrain mount. Could also be a shock problem.

Thank you Bounty_Hunter for your input...and you're right...I don't think that output shaft is the issue either. I dropped the front driveshaft to find out where the play was, i pulled the yoke from the t case only to find that that the output shaft, bearing and seal were in tact and tight. I tightened the yoke nut back up and found that the play that I had noticed earlier was gone...so I'm guessing that the yoke nut had been loose from the get go! Pretty sure that I had found my problem, I slapped the driveshaft back in and backed out of the garage. First bump I hit...heard it again!
So, the jeep had this issue when I bought it...being pretty sure that it was a bad shock or something of that sort, I kinda jest blew it off. I put a rough country 4" lift in..shocks, lower control arms, sway bar links coil springs ect. Hoping that when I drove it out of the garage the knock would be gone...no such luck. All of the upper control arms seem ok...loaded and unloaded. I've jacked each wheel in the air one at a time checking ball joints and any other moving parts..front end is tight. Honestly, I don't want to sound like a meatball, but sometimes it sounds like this noise is coming from drivers side firewall under the hood, but then again its probably just transferring from somewhere else. I guess the search continues thanks again

Lower bearing on the steering column. Very common problem on the older YJ's, but I have replaced a ffew on the TJ's as well.

Lower bearing on the steering column. Very common problem on the older YJ's, but I have replaced a ffew on the TJ's as well.

Thank you, I'll look into that a little further. I grabbed the steering column and gave it a firm shake before...seemed pretty tight. Ill check it again, maybe with the wheels in the air..thanks again!

Get someone to jump on the front bumper while you look around in and under the jeep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well Jeepers, I did in fact find the banging and clanging sound a few months ago. It was the the body mounts Most toward the front were rotted through the tub, and the bolts were hitting the floor! It was hard to tell by just looking because the rot holes were the exact same size as the body mount bushings. I had it professionally repaired by a friend and the noise is gone. If you own a north country jeep, don't be afraid to get under it and give it a shake once in a while...you might just be surprised on how much is falling apart haha! Thank you all for your input...Keep on Jeepin on!

Yep, everything is nice and tight now, it's actually turning into a nice little ride!

Back