Gotta Problem!!!

TWoodJeepin

Took my 1998 jeep wrangler to get an alignment yesterday and found out some pretty devastating news..they were unable to do the alignment due to various different factors, so I thought I'd share the reason and ask you guys how'd you go about doing it: (this is what the guy wrote word for word)
-transmission cross member bolts loose;one hanging down a lot
-wheel bearing has little play LF
-rear tracking bar bracket broken/loose
-sway bar link loose in rear
And the one that concerns me the most
-RR upper control arm bracket rusted out-not much holding it...IS NOT SAFE!
What should I do?

I would definitely tighten all the loose stuff.

Fix the track bar bracket

Find someone to fix the control arm bracket

It just kills me seeing my jeep out of commission for a little while lol just a matter of getting this stuff worked out now I guess.

There are 6 transmission crossmember bolts holding the skid to the frame, many spin the nuts in the frame once you take a wrench to them. Be prepared for the worst with those. Find a good fabrication ship to repair the control arm mount and possibly the skid plate nutserts.

Don't worry too much......Tighten all the loose stuff and get your control arm bracket welded. I've already busted mine off 2x.....If you have a lift on it I would consider going with long arms or getting shorter springs. It's breaking because the angle from the axle to frame is too severe.

Rather than fix all that, why not put in a lift that will fix many of those problems and give you improved performance?

An update: got everything fixed except the rr upper control arm bracket. Hopefully this week that will be done! Going to OBX the end of May so it needs to get done!

That was a slip on my part. I should have said a new combination suspension/lift system. A Rubicon Express Long Arm system like this one
Rubicon Express Part RE7204 - 4.5 Inch Extreme-Duty Long Arm Lift Kit with Rear Track Bar - No Shocks - - 4 Wheel Parts
seems like it would take care of many of the issues, but not the wheel bearing of course. And at least 4wheelparts refers to this system as a lift, though it is much more.

Do a bit more research. Long arms are not for everyone. Many have gone back from long arms to stock or just adjustable control arms.

Last edited:
Back