Worse mistake ever 👺

redjkhouston

I was in need of shocks. I'm new to the jeep scene so I went down to 4 wheel parts to asked for help.... He said pro comp es9000 and I said i take them!!!!
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!

Been through about a dozen diffrent mfg of shocks on my 01. Till I found a good price on Fox 2.0's. If the place doesnt ask or checks your vehicle for compression length and extension length and matches the shock body and shaft length for your general needs, it will be a crap shoot if what your buying is right for you.

Remove the front shock. Jack up the front tire till you hit the bump stop or bury your tire into the wheel well. You should hit a bump stop! Measure down where the shock goes and record that number, now jack the frame up till the wheel stops drooping. Measure that length. Now do the same with one side on the rear end. Give those numbers to a good off road place and they can match a good fox, ADS, King, or a good quality mfg of shock for your type of off roading. Bigger tires, or an axle upgrade changes your load rating then that means changing the valving. You really do get what you pay for here.

What exactly was the problem with the shocks? I ask because years ago I put some on my CJ-7 and they were too stiff for me.

I liked the early 9000s that were adjustable. You pushed it all the way in and rotated left or right, depending whether you wanted more or less dampening. Too bad they stopped that.

Back