Need pics of 258 I6

IMAG4607.jpg

Try these...They are from one of my CJ7's that was basicly stock other than the Weber carb and the HEI system. Not aure what year your Jeep is or the year of the engine, but it is set up for a serpentine belt system based on the pulleys and idler arm in the photo's. I know a few of the last CJ's with 4 cylinders had the single serpentine belt but not sure around the 258's(reffering to AMC engines)? That may be a "Wrangler" era 258. You may want to check the date stamp on the passengers side of the block just below the cylinder heads? It will make a difference with the parts you will need. While the basic function of the engine and internal parts are the same regardless of V-belt or serpentine, certain accessories will be different (i.e the water pump on your truns in the opposite direction).

Jeep 4.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg

I'm fairly certain that is a replacement engine because I believe the plastic valve cover and aluminum 2V intake manifold which are in your photos did not came out until after 83 (but I could be wrong). Regardless, it makes no real difference other than the required parts for replacement and the routing of the serpentine belt. I found this link for you speaking of the belt routing:
DRIVE BELT ROUTING :: 1984 - 1991 :: Jeep Cherokee XJ :: Online Manual Jeep

Keep us posted.

I agree that, that is a serpentine belt set up and PoliceMonkey is correct that they didn't come out until around 82-83, but is not that big of a deal. If you want to know for sure look up the numbers stamped into the block.

Back