Name of Jeep Part

taralynn

Bear with me all, I have a 76 CJ-5. Steel body. I need to replace a small panel on passenger side front. I cannot find the piece to save my life. It's not the full fender or a flare. Its a piece between the door and the fender. Where the CJ-5 "sticker" is located.

I just bought the jeep and am learning about it. I recently had the transmission redone, the main seal replaced, new brake lines, and master cylinder. All that is left is body work and I cannot find this piece (nor the name of it)on any guide or parts list.

Can anyone help me with the name of the piece? Thanks!

I don't believe you'll find just at piece. It sounds like the intermediate forward panel, which is below the cowl between the door opening and front fender panel. You'll find a complete passenger side of the tub or the rear section that Terry gave you a link for. For smaller areas like what I believe you are describing, it's easier and more cost effective to just cut the area out and replace with sheet metal you fabricate.

Thanks Terry, I was hoping I could replace just the small panel where the CJ-5 emblem sits but I am guessing they don't make that small piece separately. Looks like I will be buying the whole quarter panel. Thanks for the link! I have been enjoying all the topics here. I am new to the Jeep thing. Finally got one after 24 years :)

The cj5 emblem goes on the front on the 76? I have a 76 cj5 also but no idea where an emblem goes on the front

Not on the front but in the side right behind the wheel well. If you look at my photo of my 76 CJ-5 you can see it and the placement.

I had a friend of mine who is a body guy. He said the same thing you did about fabricating a piece or ordering the whole part. Now I just need to decide what to do. While most people would be frustrated to have this problem I am elated as it means I have the jeep I have always wanted. Thanks for your help.

Where is your pic?

Talking about this, I saw a cj5 this weekend that had the badge up high, in front of the upper hinge and it made me think of this thread

Will try to upload a pic again. I thought the one I uploaded earlier did but I guess not. Will do it a lil bit later as I have 9 kids running through my house (no school…and no not all are mine lol)

Here it is just in case. This is a better pic…. 20140421_113753.jpg Sorry that its tilted. The piece I need is where the CJ-5 emblem is…thinking its going to have to be fabricated or will end up replacing that entire panel. Ideas?

1. I don't think that the CJ5 emblem was ever placed there from the factory...not sure...they put them in a few places(lower right on the grille,right rear next to tailgate) but I've never seen one like yoir picture.
2. The area you are asking about is part of the front right fender(the seperate piece was used to reinforce the fender in some years & not in others although the fenders are interchangable.
3.As to the small amount of rust in your picture....I would suggest cutting it out & welding in a small patch. Just my opinion.
Good luck & let us know what you decide.....and remember "Jeep work is good work" ;)

Thanks Guys (and Girls if there are any helping me out), I think I am going to go with fabrication. I just had the hood redone as the previous owner had it fly up and put a big crease in it. Now that the hood is beautiful I am slowly getting around to the other parts. The patch of rust is all the way through so replacing the whole thing or fabricating it are my only options. There are three other patches of rust on it but all can be fixed as they aren't all the way through. Not too bad for a 76 with 48k miles on it. Took my 17 year old daughter out driving in it this past weekend. She is now addicted and is saving for her own (She wants a newer one though).

After seeing the pic of the panel in question , I'm in agreement with TLCJ5 that if you can patch/fabricate the weak spot , it would be a better way to go. Reason being is from the picture it looks as though the seams are sturdy and the fender as a whole is a good fit so the body lines won't be disturbed by a less than perfect replacement. I don't know if any replacement CJ body parts are quality as the ones on your jeep now , but if after the paint is taken down and the metal proves to be strong around all the mounting areas , you would definately want to hold on to your original fender. Just hate to see you end up with a less than quality piece on such a cherry jeep ! Hard enough keeping a CJ from turning into a pile of rust as there was speculation as to the assembly methods used that allegedly contributed to demise. Really hope you can keep all the original sheet metal and just tack in new panels of equal gauge . I think you would agree ?
P.S.- thinking your 17 yr. old might just ask you to get the new jeep and she ask for this one when she gets familiar with the charm of old iron !

Last edited:
The seams are great. Its just that spot that is rusted through. I am thinking that fabricating a piece will be the way to go. It comes down to man hours versus just ordering the part. I am talking to my body guy this week to see what his opinion is. He is all about keeping as much original as possible. I have three other small spots on the jeep where it is rusting but are still good enough to sand, patch and repaint. This spot on the fender is the only spot rusted through. I completely fell into this jeep. Bought it and had someone offer me double what I paid for it 2 weeks later :) Took my kid out driving again tonight and she still wants a newer one. She is a girly girl and is all about driving something cute…I grew up with three brothers and no sister…forget cute, give me big, muddy and high engine revs..that makes me a happy girl.

The cj-5 emblem that is on your jeep NEVER went there. That emblem Never even went with your year jeep, that is a later emblem, (around 1980 model) and gos somewhere towards the back of the jeep, either on the side or next to the tailgate,(cant remember which) Your jeep should have "jeep" stamped into the side of the body just below your antana, yours does not which means that the side panel or the whole tub has been replaced. Your front fenders are original and they do not make that style anymore anywhere that I am aware of. I highly doubt you will make that overlayed portion of the panel as it is a overlay and attached to the original panel. Many people have tried and failed. I would cut out all the rust on that panel and weld in a new piece where the rust was, even if you cant get it perfectly smooth,(not many panels on a older jeep are perfectly smooth anyway.) Your paint and body friend should be able to do that without much trouble at all. Its a original non reproduction piece of your jeeps history and that panel seperates you from most. I would ditch the cj-5 emblem.

Thanks everyone! This is a new process for me and I would prefer to keep the jeep as original as possible. There is so much that I am learning. What I do know is I love driving her. I have debated moving to a warm weather state so I have more time to drive her. Wisconsin weather is bipolar at best. Yesterday it was 72 degrees and today its supposed to be 52. I love my jeep but not enough to drive in 52 degree weather with no top :) Though I was tempted last night.

Back