95 YJ wiring question

yo momma yj

can anyone ID this wire? first pigtail off the engine harness as it penetrates the firewall...it's about 3 feet long. I maybe recall unlacing it from around the steering 5 some odd years ago.

Attachments

• aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • bb.JPG
    bb.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
That's certainly a lot of slack , that's confusing enough right there. Usually wiring harness length is so tight length wise , very stingy but necessary to avoid contact with anything that causes abrasion to the insulation thereby creating a short . I do not have proper reference for your '95 but I looked in my '92 FSM in the YJ wiring diagram section to try my luck. Although I cannot clearly see from your photo the wiring color code , I can make out white , green , black , tan but not any tracer . There's some consistency color code wise with intermittant wiper and the plug shape to but I cannot say yes to that either. I also saw those colors on a sheet with DRL ( daytime running lights) . As I said , a bit confusing. I would ask for the colors but a better question is where does the plug on the firewall nearest to the accelerator pedal go to on the engine side of the firewall ? BTW , some of the wiring on that plug is also consistant with the wiper color codes to the switch so I don't want to place any bets until we can trace better.
The wiper on the YJ is on the cabin side of the firewall if I'm not mistaken so I guess some of that harness will lead to it. Curious if a DRL module was supposed to plug in there as an option.

appreciate the responses.

wire colors are black/red/green/ and pinkish-brown, and it's on a mini connector...doesn't really show signs of wear on the contacts, so I'm prone to think it's for something this jeep doesn't have ie delay or cruise.

Attachments

• DSC01543.JPG
    DSC01543.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC01548.JPG
    DSC01548.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

I most definately agree with you and policemonkey161 as far as it being for an option , I.E. cruise control or intermittant wipers. Since it was wrapped around the column , we will probably never know who wrapped it ( PO or factory) . Could have been something that was removed or never installed but it is too sloppy to assume the factory did so I'm thinking the PO may have ?
But be that as it may , at this point we'll need to look at the other side of the firewall where the rubber plug pokes through to see if the wires can be traced. I'm leaning toward intermittant but not having a YJ , much less a '95 or even proper documentation for one , I'm just surmizing.
If at al possible without hassling to trace or even disassembling anything , see if possible to find the wires on the engine side. Hope you can and we'll give it a shot since I'm not able to properly match this plug or wiring code to my '92 FSM YJ wiring section. Thanks for your reply. Greg
P.S. - although the wiring code colors aren't a match to my '92 FSM , the plug configuration is closest to the non delay and intermittant wiper harness plug to the switch or motor. This is what I've seen on the diagrams and believe that the plug most likely is for intermittant wipers . I guess that would explain the slack in the harness ; needs to reach the dash or motor ? Wondering is your current wiper switch column mounted or dash ?

Last edited:
I know its been months but I just ran into a similar problem. I bought another YJ and found out the hard way that the wipers dont work. After digging under the dash I found this same exact wire zip-tie bundled to a screw hole while looking for the no wiper culprit. Any idea what it go's to? Do your wipers work with it unplugged? Thanks in advance.

It's not delay wipers, I swapped in a steering column with delay wipers and it worked fine with the same wiring as without delay.

stupid thought... does your horn work? If it was wrapped around the steering column it could only be a few things, but I suppose thats just where it could've ended up. Like everyone else says I'd lean towards cruise but maybe fog lights or rear defrost on a hard top?

Back