Fog lights won't go off

Oldchief

Get back to the boat ramp this afternoon and get the dreaded solenoid chatter when I go to crank up my '05 TJ:???:.
I know battery is good so check to see if I'd left any switches on, like the headlights or something. Nothing left on. I get a jump and make it home. Then I noticed the factory fog lights were on. Checked headlight switch and they were not turned on. Operated headlight switch in all positions; fog lights went off when I hit high beams but otherwise would not go off, no matter what position headlight switch was in. Went under the hood and pulled the fog lamp relay which finally killed fog lights. Any ideas? Would relay just go bad and keep fog lights on? Or, is it more likely a short in the headlight switch? Or??? Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
user_online-1.gif

Sounds like a bad switch to me.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Get back to the boat ramp this afternoon and get the dreaded solenoid chatter when I go to crank up my '05 TJ:???:.
I know battery is good so check to see if I'd left any switches on, like the headlights or something. Nothing left on. I get a jump and make it home. Then I noticed the factory fog lights were on. Checked headlight switch and they were not turned on. Operated headlight switch in all positions; fog lights went off when I hit high beams but otherwise would not go off, no matter what position headlight switch was in. Went under the hood and pulled the fog lamp relay which finally killed fog lights. Any ideas? Would relay just go bad and keep fog lights on? Or, is it more likely a short in the headlight switch? Or??? Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/report.php?p=24318858

It's likely the switch but check the grounds of the lights and relay. I've seen many times where the ground location is a common point and when the contact to the body or frame becomes poor the ground goes through other components.

I'm betting it's the switch too. Ordered new one yesterday. Thanks for the replies.

Follow up. Couple of days ago I installed my new, right out of the box Mopar multi-switch. Put everything back together only to find that, altho the fog lights weren't coming on by themselves anymore, the turn signals and 4-way flash wouldn't work. Hooked old switch back up and turn sigs & 4-way worked fine but fogs were on again. So, I got a bad new Mopar switch (which I noted was made in Mexico). Now waiting on another new switch. Left the old bad switch in so I have turn signals and left the fog light relay unplugged, so those stay off, for now.

Back