Rear Axle Help

Steven Seimer

So I have a 97 TJ and I can grab the rear tire at the top and pull and push it back and forth about a half a inch and it is also making noise. A rattle type noise. I have no experience with axles at all except changing front wheel bearings and pinon seals. So I am not quite sure what the issue is.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.:???:

It will be necessary to check the wheel bearing unit on both sides since the job is done together but it really sounds like you've got worn upper ball joints . Honestly , to do the job right , you will have to rebuild all. I'm talking upper and lower ball joints and if necessary , wheel bearings. Fortunately , the wheel bearings are integral and an easy bolt on. Steering linkage can be done at a later date if need be but now is the time to change those drive axle u-joints. If they are original , I'm sure they must be due for replacement. The forum has nice write ups on front end work and our administrator has done one with pictures . I'm certain you will find it very complete and should be very helpful. Hope this helps. Greg

Rear end, Greg.
First thing Steven, welcome!!! Next, where is the rattle coming from? Near the tire or towards the pumpkin?

Fubar :drunk:Well it is Saturday nite . Sounds like rear wheel bearings then. By any chance are the brake shoes biting into the drums ? That's a sign the bearings are worn and the axle shaft is off center. But yeah , as prairiepunk posted , where does the rattle sound like it is coming from ?

Back