Doing something different with one of my YJ's

Niri Tawa

Hi folks, I just joined today. my name is Sabrina, Brie for short. I'm 64, and retired Army. My question is this. I have two YJ's a 90 with a chassis lift under it, and a 95 that is also lifted. The 90 is fine and I wheel it, while the 95 has a blown AX5, and I want to drop it to it's stock height, and stretch the frame about 6 inches, to turn it into a poor girl's Lotus Seven. I plan on swapping the Dana 30 in the front, for a 2WD front axle that I got from an MJ in a U-pull junkyard. I will welt leaf spring perches on it in place of the coil spring perches it has now. I would then like to put later model FSJ springs under the four corners of the YJ to give it 4 inches more wheelbase. I will replace the Dana 35 on the back with the limited slip Dana 44 that is under an old 1987 XJ Laredo. Then I will find a four cylinder BMW engine and five speed in my favorite U-Pull and put it in place, under a custom built long hood shaped as close to the Lotus hood as I can make it.
Where is a good place besides a dealer that sells stock height steering components??? HEEEEELP ! !
Brie

Last edited:

That sounds like a heck of an idea. I have thought of doing a 2wd hotrod set up too, because of how easy and fun it would be. Anywhere should sell what you are looking for, from the local places to morris4x4, quadratech, anywhere.

Instead of running a BMW m10, you should get an m20b25 out of an 80s-90s 325i. Super easy to mod using stock BMW and ford parts for more power and efficiency. I use to autocross BMWs and did it on a super tight budget so I know tons of little tricks

That sounds like a heck of an idea. I have thought of doing a 2wd hotrod set up too, because of how easy and fun it would be. Anywhere should sell what you are looking for, from the local places to morris4x4, quadratech, anywhere.

Instead of running a BMW m10, you should get an m20b25 out of an 80s-90s 325i. Super easy to mod using stock BMW and ford parts for more power and efficiency. I use to autocross BMWs and did it on a super tight budget so I know tons of little tricks

I owned a few in Germany after I got a European Discharge from the Army. I worked for a while at the Factory in Munich. I will look into your suggested engine.

THANKS for the link!! I thought that I was going to have to go to the dealer, or a specialized 4X4 supplier, both expensive options. Rock Autos prices are FAR below what I thought what it was going to cost to bring the one Jeep back to stock ride height. Just so you folks know, I have two other Jeeps, a 1990 YJ with a 2.5 and an AX5 that works perfectly, in spite of the 10-31X15's that it is shod with. As soon as I can find an AX15 in a junkyard, I'll swap it with the AX5, I don't need to push my luck. The other Jeep is a 1987 XJ Laredo, with a 4.0, and one of the limited slip Dana 44's. I may snag the rear axle out of that if I cant find a Dana 44 in a junkyard.
Brie

Back